PDA

View Full Version : 500h is the magic number

Hogos
6th Mar 2020, 17:57
Dear guys
I know that it has always been difficult to find a job after the ATPL, except for those few airlines which doesn't have any hours requirement or, even better, which provide the type rating through bonds or cadet schemes.
But for all the other companies, where the magic number is still "500", do you think is a strict and mandatory requirement to be fulfilled, or they put it just to discourage people to apply ?

I would like to hear some of your experiences, where someone has been called, without meeting the requirements on "the paper", regardless the outcome of the assessment.
I much appreciate it.

IRRenewal
6th Mar 2020, 21:48
There is no such thing as a magic number.

Ps: Why are you only interested in opinions from guys? Bit of latent sexism going on here?

Hogos
6th Mar 2020, 21:53

Ps: Why are you only interested in opinions from guys? Bit of latent sexism going on here?

Guys is a generic expression, like folks, or people.
thanks for your very useful answer

WhatShortage
6th Mar 2020, 21:59
Guys is a generic expression, like folks, or people.
thanks for your very useful answer
He is probably more concerned about the ONLY girls sponsorships to have an equal amount of pilots ( should have a word for pilot girls to notice the difference).

There's some steps that airlines normally look for like 250 total( when the hiring boom), 500, 1000 and then the 500 with type 1000, 1500. Add flight Instructor, IRI, cri and you'll have more chances of having an interview without having the type hours or not completely fulfilling all the requirements.

Sometimes they refuse to hire/interview people without a proper CV. I've had several reports of ex engineers below 500hours total that have had interviews and succeeded, why them and not you? Better CV

IRRenewal
6th Mar 2020, 22:27
There is no magic number, but there are minimum requirements (arbitrary or not). If they have a pile of applications meeting the minimum requirements and a pile who don't guess who is going to get invited for interview?

Where I am from 'guys' is not a generic expression. While I am willing to except that it is in your book you have to remember that people who are in charge of recruitment are generally of my generation. It is those people who get to decide whether they progress your application or nor. It might help your future career if you learn to speak our language.

Mrpeewee
6th Mar 2020, 23:05
There is no magic number, but there are minimum requirements (arbitrary or not). If they have a pile of applications meeting the minimum requirements and a pile who don't guess who is going to get invited for interview?

Where I am from 'guys' is not a generic expression. While I am willing to except that it is in your book you have to remember that people who are in charge of recruitment are generally of my generation. It is those people who get to decide whether they progress your application or nor. It might help your future career if you learn to speak our language.

If your personality finds that using guys is considered latent sexism. Jesus I would be careful flying with you as a crew.

more important things to care about than pronouns

giggitygiggity
7th Mar 2020, 00:40
There is no magic number. There will be guys that have been working for FlyBe for their entire flying careers with 10,000hrs, yet as of a few days ago are not able to find a job. Nobody is hiring on the Dash-8, nobody is hiring on anything. Don't get a magic number into your head thinking that 'once i've got X number of hours, it's basically job done'. Be practical and be flexible. When you do make it, try to get onto a Boeing or an Airbus as quick as you can and then you'll have the magic number - though you're never safe. Even if you've got both. The industry is fickle and you've just got to adapt and be prepared for the wait.

bringbackthe80s
7th Mar 2020, 04:24
Hours have no meaning anymore unless you want to join as DEC.

eimin
7th Mar 2020, 08:29
There is no magic number. There will be guys that have been working for FlyBe for their entire flying careers with 10,000hrs, yet as of a few days ago are not able to find a job. Nobody is hiring on the Dash-8, nobody is hiring on anything. Don't get a magic number into your head thinking that 'once i've got X number of hours, it's basically job done'. Be practical and be flexible. When you do make it, try to get onto a Boeing or an Airbus as quick as you can and then you'll have the magic number - though you're never safe. Even if you've got both. The industry is fickle and you've just got to adapt and be prepared for the wait.

Exactly that.

P40Warhawk
7th Mar 2020, 08:37
No such thing as a magic number. Sadly I was thinking the same.

I thought 500 on Type and doors will open for me.

I now have 725 hrs on B737 300/400. 925 hrs TT.
Guess what, now my hrs are useless in many companies with NG's. Those hrs should be on NG, Classic with EFIS are basically useless. Totally nonsense of course as CL/NG are not great differences. I have done difference course and have certificate, but all I can say, not much of difference, buttttt, airlines are NOT interested in me even though I have 725 on type.

MAX situation and this COVID19 doesnt help either. We are back in a downturn. Boom is over.

But there are numbers which do help 2000 hrs Jet. Preferably Airbus or Boeing.

Hogos
7th Mar 2020, 09:24
To be honest, by surfing on the major pilot jobs websites, I'm still finding loads of DEC, with the common requirement, of course there are also others, not only the hours.
But, on the other hand, it's not said that just having 500h means to land the job.

OT: do you think that experienced flybe pilots are wishing to stick to the dash 8, not taking another type rating in major airlines, like an Airbus or something ?

Hawker400
7th Mar 2020, 10:24
OT: do you think that experienced flybe pilots are wishing to stick to the dash 8, not taking another type rating in major airlines, like an Airbus or something ?

No one in the world flies a Dash 8 because they want to.

Colorful review of flying a Dash:
https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comments/31hgva/comment/cq26tut

A320LGW
7th Mar 2020, 10:44

What utter codswallop.

Do not take any notice of this poster, 'guys' is commonly used to refer to a group, whether said group consists of males or females is irrelevant. Even girls nowadays refer to a group of their girlfriends as 'guys'. That goes for natives of 'our language' too, as you put it.

Seriously, this is all you have to contribute to this thread? You sound like a delight to sit beside for 8 hrs.

Hogos
7th Mar 2020, 12:04
It might help your future career if you learn to speak our language.

Don't worry, I can speak your language very well, I did my training in Uk, no problem at all so far.
Furthermore, on the top of that I know my own language, isn't this impressive ?

VinRouge
7th Mar 2020, 12:21

stop being so Woke.

giggitygiggity
7th Mar 2020, 14:42

Hang on a minute, whilst this is pathetic, i'll bite and quote you...

Chaps, do a bit of research. This SkyTag thing was a 2005 April Fool's joke.

A320LGW
7th Mar 2020, 16:22
Originally Posted by IRRenewal View Post (https://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/630298-500h-magic-number.html#post10705302)
Hang on a minute, whilst this is pathetic, i'll bite and quote you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRRenewal View Post (https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/425790-laser-nuisance-post5903135.html#post5903135)
Chaps, do a bit of research. This SkyTag thing was a 2005 April Fool's joke.

Did IRRenewal just assume everyone's gender!? :ooh::E

Banana Joe
7th Mar 2020, 16:25
There's no such thing as a magic number. I have well in excess of 500 hours with experience on a transport category aircraft, but nothing has really changed since I was short of 500 hours. The MAX grounding and virus outbreak do not help. Having an unfrozen ATPL may help in some circumstances.

Nineshsimbers
7th Mar 2020, 16:57
Are you guys serious about the gender thing? Grow up and take your conversation elsewhere you bunch of fools.

To be of some use to this thread: yes some people assume there are magic numbers but it should not put you off from applying to these places..even if you don’t meet the hours requirements

shaun ryder
8th Mar 2020, 17:25
Did IRRenewal just assume everyone's gender!? https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/icon25.gifhttps://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/evil.gif

He assumed that people who read his posts actually give a :mad:.

IFLYyouBREATH
8th Mar 2020, 19:20
Even for drop pilot, towering..... they request 500h .... shame

rudestuff
9th Mar 2020, 06:40
Guys, I'm really enjoying this thread! Any tips on making proper / better CV?
Yeah - try to find out who's going to be reading it. Tailor each one specifically. In boom times you can just send out 20 CVs and wait for the offers, but not now. Having a friend at the airline who can hand in a CV works wonders. If you haven't got that friend then make one.