PDA

View Full Version : Flight Instructing in the USA

Milsey
12th Aug 2002, 14:04
Hello All

I am 21 years old & want to build up my hours before I do my APTL course- I've been told by a pilot in the USA that a good way to do this is to instruct for a couple of years to build up the 1500 hours.

What do you think about this? What qualifications do I need to instruct in the USA? Is there a reasonable demand for instructors at the moment? I would like to get as much twin engine time as possible- how likely is this?

All the info you can give me will be much appreciated as I am reluctant to go out there and do it unless I am 100% sure!

Thanks in advance....

Milsey

weasil
18th Aug 2002, 03:17
right now there are more instructors then jobs in the usa

willbav8r
19th Aug 2002, 16:20
Maybe try a search - this question is asked a lot.

The big problem is the right to work and live here. No green card, then no work. Some types of Visa may suffice for short periods of time, but realistically, without the coveted green card, any job is going to be tough to obtain. That was the case pre 9/11. Likely to be even tougher now.

As for getting twin time - I reccommend saving your cash. There are places out here that will offer 100 hrs for around $12,000. That is nearly 8,000 sterling (or whatever the Euro is). A lot of leaf certainly, but far cheaper than UK.

Nothing wrong with instructing in the UK? Probably just as tough, but you will make contacts and develop knowledge applicable for your neck of the woods?

Best of luck. Remember to have fun.