PDA

View Full Version : which aeroplane are you training in?

Pilot16
12th Aug 2002, 11:38
I was just wondering why a lot of people choose to train for the PPL in those Piper worrior aeroplanes and not in Cessna's. Im doing my training in the C152 and finding my self saving hundreds and hundreds of pounds so whats the point? especially when you can fly the PA after gaining your PPL with only an hours instruction in it.

Evo7
12th Aug 2002, 11:49
:rolleyes:

knobbygb
12th Aug 2002, 11:53
you'll find loads of other threads giving both specific answers and discusssing the general merits of the two types, but...

For me, I just prefer the Warrior. Flown both, didn't really like the Cessna (cramped, under powered). That's just a personal preference. Also, I would expect to be flying mainly the Warrior after I get the license and would rather have 50+ hours experience on the specific type I'll be flying, rather than just the conversion time.

While slightly more expensive, the money doesn't matter really, after all, I could always just get a cheaper hobby if I wanted to save hundreds of pounds. At an extra £11/hour where I fly, it adds just over 10% to the total cost, and for me personally, makes it much more enjoyable, which for me is what it's all about. For an atpl wannabe on a budget, things may well be different.

dodgylanding
12th Aug 2002, 13:35
I'm learning in a Katana.
It costs a bit more per hour, but would you rather learn to drive in a knackered Moggie Minor or a nearly new supermini? :)

Kirstey
12th Aug 2002, 13:48
Warrior for me - always thought the Cessna didn't really look like an aircraft!! However following a Shorts 360 on finals the other day I've decided the Cessna's are OK after all!!

BRL
12th Aug 2002, 14:36
Simply don't 'fit' in a C150.............. :rolleyes:

Cat.S
12th Aug 2002, 14:59
Don't fit in any of those three which is why I learnt on, and still fly a Tomahawk. It's also nice having a proper throttle quadrant and being able to see out too!

AerBabe
12th Aug 2002, 15:49
Learnt in a C152 because that's what our flying group prefer to use for training. I would rather choose based on instructor rather than aircraft type. I'm now flying a Cherokee because it's cheaper, more available, and you don't rub thighs with the person in the RHS :D
Still have a soft spot for the dear old C152 though, and go up for a quick play in it every now and then :)

BlueRobin
12th Aug 2002, 16:25
Teehee, I fall into a niche category because I learnt in a (blue) Robin 200, so nrrrrr! :p :D

Excellent training a/c although one small gripe is that spins are prohibited.

The PA28 is a good a/c because, it's big, has power and floats/glides well. However, if you learn in a slightly crap a/c (read training), you can appreciate things post-PPL a lot better imho. Going from PA28 to Robin would frighten some...

Ludwig
12th Aug 2002, 16:46
Didmine in a BeaglePup which is a pity really 'cause everything after that is like flying a badly contructed jelly.!;)

propjockey
12th Aug 2002, 16:55
Ah - I love the Robin HR200 I am training in out of EGPK.

Nice a/c - only 18mths old and 300 odd hours - full avionics stack and its all nice - smooth - and new!

Nice airplane too - responsive yet safe.

Asked my instructor what a 140 would be like after....

he says 'like flying a brick'!

Spins - well I am not that advanced .... yet!

regards

Simon

Who has control?
13th Aug 2002, 07:48
I learnt in a C152, which I though was good. I now fly a Koliber, which is streets ahead. OK, so you don't have a view straight down as there is a wing in the way, but a bubble canopy gives unsuppassed visibilty, far better than a C150/PA28. And it lands nicely too. Also as it has a stick with rod control runs, rather than a yoke with stretchy cables, the control response is immediate.

buzby15
13th Aug 2002, 09:50
Did first 12 hours in a tomahawk then finished in C152. Progress to C172 as that is what the club had, then moved house found new club and switched to the Warrior. Now I have a Robin HR100/285 - one of the 2 on the British register.

Pilot16
13th Aug 2002, 13:28
Im going for cpl, which is why I suppose it is best to keep training cost minimum. but Id love to try other aircrafts after gaining my PPL.

tomcs
13th Aug 2002, 15:20
I learn't in the PA-28 simply because i cant fit into a Cessna. And anyway i dont like the way that they fly.

Three cheers for Piper.

Tom

Whipping Boy's SATCO
13th Aug 2002, 16:28
I did my first 12 hours in a Chipmunk. Needless to say I still haven't quite got the knack of landing a 152 or PA28!!

PPPPP
13th Aug 2002, 16:37
3 hours in a Grob G115 so far,may have to transfer to a Warrior on account of weight (mine!)

Viggen
13th Aug 2002, 16:45
Also learning in a Grob 115 ... about to take skills test in it too.
Lovely little aircraft, I think!

PPPPP ... guessing from your chosen steed and your location you're learning at Barton?

flying snapper
14th Aug 2002, 07:57
I think I am in the minority here - I am training on Grumman AA5's. I much prefer the space in the AA5's to the rather cramped 152 that the club has, although the thought of "rubbing thighs" with Aerobabe does have a certain appeal!! The sliding canopy is also rather good as it makes me feel like a Spitfire pilot Ha Ha

PPPPP
14th Aug 2002, 08:43
Affirm, Viggen, although on the last two occasions its been not-flying due wx (curse!) Time not wasted last weekend though, took Aviation Law instead....

TheKentishFledgling
14th Aug 2002, 09:09
Learning in a C152 (sorry Stik) as it's either that or the more expensive PA28.

I also think that they've been around as training aircraft for so long, there has to be a reason for their success.

tKF

EchoKiloEcho
1st Mar 2003, 13:47
I trained on a C172, PA28-140 & PA28-180 and personaly I think that the cherokee is best to learn on because you can spin it, and also the ground rush is not as bad as with a Cessna. Its also easier to check the fuel, flap is not electric (only 3 positions to choose from), and better visability for training (looking out for other aircraft). When you have your PPL a Cessna might be a good idea for looking down at the scenery!

I don't think its a question of which type, I think you should be experienced in both types, because most flying schools in the world mostly operate either PA28's of C172's.

I think if you have a good knowledge of, or flying experience on both types you will feel confident in renting either.

One thing I don't like about a Cessna is that you can't open the engine cowl to see the condition of the engine, electric flaps and that you can poke yourslef in the eye with the pitot tube! Apart from all that I like both types. Go fly both and see which one you feel most comfortable with...

:cool:

ModernDinosaur
1st Mar 2003, 17:15
I learnt in a Katana and I'd recommend it to anyone - great visibility, light control, quiet, modern, comfortable, and it even accommodates a 6'4 person with space to spare.

Since I got my license I've flown C152s and C172s (both pretty horrible), Pitts S2B (nice for an aerobatic plane, but lousy visibility), PA28 (somewhere between the Katana and Cessna) and the Diamondstar (even better than the Katana).

Whatever you fly, enjoy it, and fly safe.

MD.

kabz
2nd Mar 2003, 04:21
I started learning in a 172, and just wasn't up to landing the thing. It was too heavy in the flare and kinda stodgy feeling.

I switched to gliders, then to a Citabria and did ok. I also did some time in a 152 and just loved the thing to bits.

Passed ppl in Citabria, then mainly flew the 152.

By 90 hours, I was ok to be let lose in a 172, though I still far prefer the 152.

If anyone is considering it, I definitely reccomend the 152 or pa38 for learning in, then switch to the bigger stuff later. You will save money and have less risk of a **lot** of bad landing experiences like wot I had :( .

Dop
2nd Mar 2003, 11:43
Grumman AA5A for me. The original trial lesson was in a 172, but after that I started in the AA5A and I much preferred it from day one.
The whole stepping up onto the wing and sliding back the canopy thing appeals to me too. Much better than some boring door!!!

witchdoctor
2nd Mar 2003, 17:05
Started off in the mighty Bulldog (woohoo!!!).

Started again properly some years and considerable bulk later in the Warrior (bit lardy, underpowered and handles like a pig - the aircraft too), then the Arrow (bit less underpowered but with proper undercarriage) and onto the mighty Seneca - loads of fun and enough room for a big tub of lard like me at last!

Most recently been wandering about aimlessly in the AA5. Nice sharp responses, but all the build quality of an Airfix kit.