PDA

View Full Version : Aer Lingus T2 Dublin

heidelberg
24th Feb 2020, 21:25
My Wife and I checked in for our 0710 hours DUB - AGP flight on 18 Jan at T2 to be told we were boarding at the 300 series gates.
It was a very long walk to the 300 series gates next to T1.
We went down a series of steps and then into a bus. Third world stuff.
This is the first time I used the 300 series gates for EI flights to Malaga.
On the return flight from Malaga on 18 Feb with a 1400 ETA we arrived into a Pier 1 gate
followed by another long walk to the baggage hall in T2.
This was another first for me and my Wife because over the years we always arrived into T2.
Obviously a cockup shared by Aer Lingus and the DAA.
I book Aer Lingus for flights to Malaga and the reservation is always for a T2 departure and arrival.
What is going on?
Séamus

Skipness One Foxtrot
25th Feb 2020, 10:07
It happens because T2 isn’t big enough due to all transatlantic traffic using preclearance at T2 as well as Emirates, so Aer Lingus need to use T1 gates. Only check in is all at T2, has been since it opened, and yes, it’s a loooong walk.

ajamieson
25th Feb 2020, 11:43
IIRC there's an airside shuttle bus for those who don't fancy the long walk. It goes from near the ATR/Regional flight gates (which are bussed anyway).

Una Due Tfc
25th Feb 2020, 12:05
It happens because T2 isn’t big enough due to all transatlantic traffic using preclearance at T2 as well as Emirates, so Aer Lingus need to use T1 gates. Only check in is all at T2, has been since it opened, and yes, it’s a loooong walk.

I'm not a DUB local, but I'd disagree with it being long. It's ten minutes max. Pax in T2 head up there to use the smoking area. Anyone who thinks its long needs to try ATL!

Dannyboy39
25th Feb 2020, 12:41
Try doing the walk from security to the 110 gates in T1...

racedo
25th Feb 2020, 20:45
Try doing the walk from security to the 110 gates in T1...

Sometimes I have wondered whether I paid to fly or paid to walk................

EI-BUD
25th Feb 2020, 20:55
Sometimes I have wondered whether I paid to fly or paid to walk................

it's almost as bad as going down to the Ryanair side of the building!!! Wait until the new bit is built on down in pier 1 .. there'll be plenty of exercise to be had :rolleyes:

racedo
25th Feb 2020, 20:57
it's almost as bad as going down to the Ryanair side of the building!!! Wait until the new bit is built on down in pier 1 .. there'll be plenty of exercise to be had :rolleyes:

Yup I know. If I want a long walk there are nice beaches in Fingal with nice place to have a drink close by. T1/2 is definitely not that.

Consol
25th Feb 2020, 21:24
First to agree that DUB facilities are deficient, blame the DAA and no one wanting to pay for anything for the last thirty years but....

The walk to 335 is less than the walks than the further out 400 pier gates.

There are about 20 short haul Gates on T2, 10 if they are used as long haul gates. There are far more morning EI departures than that so not every flight can be on the T2 pier, it was always meant to be like that. The CBP area and function ties up a lot of T2

Lots of airports (ARN, CPH, MAN) have interconnected terminals.

The terminal you see on your boarding card is the one you check in in and collect your bags from on arrival, not the boarding gate.

Fully agree that the South gates set up is very poor.

Dannyboy39
26th Feb 2020, 05:50
A bigger concern, and I’m sure it’s a well known one - security lines. T2 it is just pathetic and it is barely better in T1... not even that busy and you can be waiting 15-20 minutes just to get to the head of the line. It’s not really good enough. Only Manchester is worse that I’ve seen anywhere in Europe.

The DAA recently cut their fees; as a result no doubt there will be a reduction in manpower once again.

MANFAN
26th Feb 2020, 08:05
A bigger concern, and I’m sure it’s a well known one - security lines. T2 it is just pathetic and it is barely better in T1... not even that busy and you can be waiting 15-20 minutes just to get to the head of the line. It’s not really good enough. Only Manchester is worse that I’ve seen anywhere in Europe.

The DAA recently cut their fees; as a result no doubt there will be a reduction in manpower once again.

How many airports in Europe have you travelled through? Find it hard to believe Manchester is worse!
Agree on Dublin queues though.

Asturias56
26th Feb 2020, 08:21
Manchester is not good - security lines are an on-going issue. For buildings Glasgow is almost decrepit in places. Dublin is fine but they seem to have a thing for long walks , bus trips etc irritating and difficult to plan your connection times . Aberdeen is better but still boarding across the tarmac.

Sober Lark
26th Feb 2020, 11:04
No problems with security wait times in DUB. Fast, thorough and efficient but why does DUB have the smelliest washrooms on the planet?

Noxegon
26th Feb 2020, 11:58
No problems with security wait times in DUB. Fast, thorough and efficient but why does DUB have the smelliest washrooms on the planet?

Have you ever been to China?

racedo
26th Feb 2020, 12:34

The multi serve points at security are probably the easiest innovation in many airports in last 10 years. SlowJoe can take ages to remove his coat, oh you want the laptop and liquids, haha, why don't they tell us etc etc which laughing and thinking it's great because his flight is in 3 hrs. Now everybody can get around him, instead of waiting, getting angry and thinking WTF is this imbecile doing.

As for washrooms................ morning after a feed of Uncle Arthur's finest starting to impact on innards may be a reason at Dublin.

brian_dromey
27th Feb 2020, 07:44
The multi serve points at security are probably the easiest innovation in many airports in last 10 years. SlowJoe can take ages to remove his coat, oh you want the laptop and liquids, haha, why don't they tell us etc etc which laughing and thinking it's great because his flight is in 3 hrs. Now everybody can get around him, instead of waiting, getting angry and thinking WTF is this imbecile doing.

They can be annoying if you have loaded up in the positions further from the scanner and arrived at the airport a bit too late for comfort! The trays from the positions nearer the X-Ray then come out first. It’s not a huge issue, just a slightly irritating observation.

racedo
27th Feb 2020, 21:41
They can be annoying if you have loaded up in the positions further from the scanner and arrived at the airport a bit too late for comfort! The trays from the positions nearer the X-Ray then come out first. It’s not a huge issue, just a slightly irritating observation.

True occasionally but if staff clued in then they will get everything in rather than holding everything up. Have only seen it as an issue once in Luton but supervisor quickly removed staff member Johnny no stars and got it back running as it should. In Dublin they seem to be on the ball.