PDA

View Full Version : handling/non-handling pilot role reversal verbal reports

Alan99
21st Feb 2020, 23:14
Hello folks,
would you be so pleased to help me to get to know which oral/verbal reports that pilots pronounce when they swap the roles of handling/non-handling pilots?
many thanks
cheers

Duchess_Driver
22nd Feb 2020, 11:42
Not sure I fully understand what you mean but there are is a set of calls made by the Pilot Flying/Handling Pilot and those made by the NON Handling Pilot or Pilot monitoring.

With us, and I suspect everybody else, if halfway through a flight we swap roles the new PF would still male PF calls and PM would make the PM calls. Think of it as a role that calls, not a specific person.

GingerFI
22nd Feb 2020, 11:58
If you mean, what is said to announce the change over. Then “I have control” and “you have control” are used. I believe in the US common phraseology is “my airplane”.

Duchess_Driver
22nd Feb 2020, 12:47
There’s me, over complicating it again!!! 👍

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Feb 2020, 17:24
In the UK I have met...

"I have control"
"You have control"

In the USA I have mostly heard

"My airplane"
"Your airplane"

I have flown with Australian pilots who used

"Taking over"
"Handing over".

I think that's the only three variations I've come across.

In test flying, where generally one is flying and one is running aspects of an experiment, it's a real risk that you both forget to look out of the window. So I've adopted over the years an additional

"I have lookout"
"You have lookout"

G

Ascend Charlie
28th Feb 2020, 10:41
"Handing over."
(putting hands and feet on controls, and looking around at performance) "Taking over"
(Ensuring Bloggs is actually aware of the performance, and has hands and feet on controls, before removing your own hands and feet to a suitable distance) "You have control."

In a Macchi, with tandem cockpit so Sir couldn't see what Bloggs was doing:
"Handing over"
(Bloggs applies hands and feet, and wiggles control column side to side slightly) "Taking over."