PDA

View Full Version : Total costs of ownership - C172

hgp
20th Feb 2020, 01:48
Hello. I'm wondering if anyone would be able to share a spreadsheet that describes the total cost of ownership of a C172 in Australia? I'm doing some initial research and, while I'm comfortable with a number of the costs I've identified, I'm hopeful someone will have a cost summary (or schedule of costs) based on their ownership experiences in Aus. Thank you.

cirrus32
24th Feb 2020, 23:56
Haven't got a spreadsheet, as such, but do own a C172 in Melbourne, so if you want to DM me I'm happy to help. Biggest cost for me is hangarage, followed by insurance, then maintenance (depending on the age of your aeroplane, you mileage may vary!)

TheOddOne
25th Feb 2020, 18:44
In the UK, I'd budget for £10,000 a year and have £20,000 in your back pocket for unforseen, uninsurable happenings, such as needing a new engine. The is for 50 hours a year and trues out at £200 per hour. This is more expensive than renting, but gives you greater freedom to do what you want, when you want. Some people 'get away with' a smaller figure, but don't budget for it.
I'm sure the Australian figures aren't markedly different. Don't know what the current exchange rate is...

TOO