PDA

View Full Version : AF1 at Daytona

NWSRG
16th Feb 2020, 21:48
Folks, just watching this video of AF1 touching down at Daytona. At about 1:07, on touchdown, the outboard port gear seems to skip forward and then rebound as all four wheels finally touch...the flaps immediately behind also seem to bounce fairly heavily. This despite what looks like a benign touchdown.

http://youtu.be/LFF6c8KPBAI

I'm guessing this has to be 'normal', but it does look fairly significant (appreciating that gear can take a lot more punishment than this if required).

Any thoughts?

tdracer might be able to share some expertise?

pattern_is_full
16th Feb 2020, 22:56
As to the flaps - the 747 flaps do wobble quite a lot, in all kinds of conditions. The inner tips are hanging out there about 10 feet from the nearest "visible means of support" (the inboard flap track).

The #1 wheel on the port bogie looks to me as though its brake might have been locked - or at least sticky. That may have produced enough brief asymmetrical force or torque on the main strut to produce that wobble. Or there may also be a shimmy damper, torque link or whatever in need of service.

I'll always bow to tdracer - although I think his speciality is powerplants.

tdracer
17th Feb 2020, 03:57
As pattern notes, I'm a powerplant guy, and while I'm knowledgeable about the current AF1 aircraft (I worked on both of them), landing gear and flaps are out of my expertise.
Sorry...

Station Zero
17th Feb 2020, 06:13
It definitely looks like a bit of a brake problem on that left-wing gear, the rear wheels touch down and do not spin up (well left one doesn't).

It is not until the whole truck is on the ground that the wheels spin up hence the judder on the gear. Maybe an auto brake/antiskid issue.

NWSRG
17th Feb 2020, 11:33
Thanks folks...appreciate your replies. As an amateur, I thought I might have been asking a stupid question, but it didn't quite look right.