PDA

View Full Version : Squawk Ident no more!

jinglejangles
16th Feb 2020, 19:50
So, sneakily dropped in to the depths of an update regarding class E, the CAA has forbidden the use of ident for conspicuity and special purpose codes.... seems ludicrous to me. Pipeline helis, police helis etc, going to cause alot of extra work for no reasonable justification? Any thoughts?

mike current
16th Feb 2020, 22:00
So, sneakily dropped in to the depths of an update regarding class E, the CAA has forbidden the use of ident for conspicuity and special purpose codes.... seems ludicrous to me. Pipeline helis, police helis etc, going to cause alot of extra work for no reasonable justification? Any thoughts?

I think the vast majority carry mode S these days.

jinglejangles
17th Feb 2020, 06:09
That's irrelevant if the unit isnt using mode S.... which many, most even, arent

rodan
17th Feb 2020, 07:38
A large number of ATSUs that might wish to identify them don’t have Mode S, though!

jinglejangles
17th Feb 2020, 09:37
Sometimes Royal Helis are not handed over because of overlapping coverage etc...so TQF1R who requests transit and traffic service is identified how? By changing their squawk? (In contradiction to the 493 that says it is to be retained for the duration of their flight) or by somehow managing an ident over a VRP, or getting them to dial up the local VOR/DME? or giving them a turn for ident? Or do I say 'Remain outside, BS'

Not Long Now
17th Feb 2020, 12:41
Even those units with Mode S checking available need a fall back for when the mode S check fails, I'm looking at you, Jersey Dash 8's...

Il Duce
17th Feb 2020, 14:04
Are you saying the use of ident is only being forbidden in class E?
For at least a year, I was aware that ident was not to be used on anything squawking 7000.

chevvron
17th Feb 2020, 16:54
ATC are entitled to assume the codes for pipeline helis and police have already been validated and their altitude readout verified by the unit they were working previously; I would assume they want controllers to assign a discrete code to aircraft previously using a conspicuity code to show other units the aircraft is actually talking to an ATC unit rather than just listening out.

Doody2007
17th Feb 2020, 19:18
ATC are entitled to assume the codes for pipeline helis and police have already been validated and their altitude readout verified by the unit they were working previously; I would assume they want controllers to assign a discrete code to aircraft previously using a conspicuity code to show other units the aircraft is actually talking to an ATC unit rather than just listening out.

So who has validated and verified the pipeline helicopter that departs from a non-surveillance equipped AFIS or A/G airfield in class G airspace then?

Gonzo
17th Feb 2020, 19:49
Sometimes Royal Helis are not handed over because of overlapping coverage etc...so TQF1R who requests transit and traffic service is identified how? By changing their squawk? (In contradiction to the 493 that says it is to be retained for the duration of their flight) or by somehow managing an ident over a VRP, or getting them to dial up the local VOR/DME? or giving them a turn for ident? Or do I say 'Remain outside, BS'

I assume you’re referring to this addition in CAP493 SI 2019/06?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1985x1155/7df082f2_b5ba_4e0e_a832_523d0888ac04_e8b13f9d1c3ace1b4bce65d ec49a45f3a8474e2d.jpeg
Have you contacted CAA for clarification using the email address on the SI? Might be worth doing so if you’re worried about it.

jinglejangles
17th Feb 2020, 21:32
Are you saying the use of ident is only being forbidden in class E?
For at least a year, I was aware that ident was not to be used on anything squawking 7000.
No. The SI was in relation to class E but buried in it was the news that IDENT is now prohibited on all conspicuity and special purpose codes (nothing to do with class E)