PDA

View Full Version : Recent storms Dubai

RoyHudd
13th Feb 2020, 10:14
Apparently, the torrential rain in Dubai, and consequent flooding, emanated from cloud seeding. The intensity of the CB's created was a major threat to aviation in the area. Can anyone cast any light on this rumour/news?

Farrell
14th Feb 2020, 02:57
The UAE has been running a cloud seeding project for almost a decade now.
Newspapers regularly laud the achievement of it.

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/news/weather/Brace-for-more-rain-in-UAE-as-cloud-seeding-continues

Prober
14th Feb 2020, 05:16
Some 15 years ago I was part of a service from Scandinavia to Dubai (and onwards) during the winter. I had three occasions to stop over in Dubai. On two of those occasions the cars were up to their axles in water. I have always thought flooding was par for the course in this bit of the desert.
Prober

Kennytheking
14th Feb 2020, 06:23
Apparently, the torrential rain in Dubai, and consequent flooding, emanated from cloud seeding. The intensity of the CB's created was a major threat to aviation in the area. Can anyone cast any light on this rumour/news?

As Farrell alluded, the UAE loves to take credit for creating the rain........until it goes wrong.......then the truth comes out.

There was no major threat to aviation, unless you consider delays to be a threat. All of the disruption was caused on the ground. Traffic/crew unable to get to work due to flooding. Airport flooded also causing issues such as breakdowns in the baggage handling system.