PDA

View Full Version : Runway Depth

Departures Beckham
12th Aug 2002, 02:55
I know that STN's runway is 3048 metres long and 348 feet wide, but does anyone know the depth of it?

This is not a specific STN question, so if you know the answer for similar runways i'd appreciate your input.

Spitoon
12th Aug 2002, 15:59
'bout 2 and a half foot the last time I saw one dug up (typically coped with B757/767). But that was to repair it - I guess it might be deeper if it was being built from scratch for heavy airplanes.

newswatcher
12th Aug 2002, 16:15
The FAA have got a computer program which calculates the required thickness, taking into consideration a load of variables including max aircraft weight, number of T/O and landings, typical weather experienced etc.

For today's "heavies" the total depth will typically be nearer 36 inches, depending on the thickness and material used for the top surface - concrete v asphalt.

Sadly, I cannot find the thickness for Stansted. At Schipol, there is a layer of 7 inches of prestressed concrete over a foundation of some 32 inches of various aggregates.

Sad but true!

Sharjah Night Shift
12th Aug 2002, 17:53
Tulsa (KTUL) have a cross section on display in a glass case in the terminal. It is about 3 feet deep.

mattpilot
12th Aug 2002, 19:46
cool - didnt know that about tulsa, will check it out - thanks

You know were in the terminal it is? Is it outside or inside the secure area?

Rwy in Sight
13th Aug 2002, 05:48
When they destroy the 15/33 in LGAV I will let you know ow deep it is.

Sharjah Night Shift
13th Aug 2002, 18:33
When I last saw it a few years ago the section of runway at Tulsa was landside between the two piers.

Don't look at it for too long or one of the self appointed guardians of national security will turn you in.

canberra
1st Sep 2002, 09:18
i was suprised at how shallow runways are. im guessing that the threholds and taxiways are deeper to take the weight of a fully laden jumbo, whereas the actual runway doesnt have one parked on it.