PDA

View Full Version : GA headset MIC issue

kdn
26th Jan 2020, 04:34
HI all, hoping some expert out there could give me an opinion on this.

I bought a very cheap GA headset off aliexpress as a second pair for passengers, unfortunately it didn't work, the speakers operated well but the microphone did not work at all.(could not hear own voice, I couldn't hear their voice either)

In terms of price well it would cost me more in shipping to send it back for a refund than what I paid for it, as they owed me next to nothing I decided to dissect them and try and locate the issue, I found two issues, where the mic connected the two braided wires were unshielded and squashed together in the mouthpiece, I put a bit of electrical tape in there to stop them touching. The second appeared to be a loose solder at the end of the flexible boom arm (may have been due to be taking them apart however).I put a decent blob of solder on the terminals and used an ohm meter from the plug to the mic wires and both look good.

Problem is when I tested it still doesn't work, I connected the headset to my laptop, I used a known working headset first and confirmed my testing method (I realise the impedance difference but worked good enough for testing), when I use this broken set, what happens is, if i blow into the mic, I can hear the feedback, and watching the equaliser, its very consistent with showing sound input as I talk, but I cannot hear anything other feedback, I output the audio to the headset and to the laptop speakers both do not work.

I got a bit crafty with testing, when I had the wires bared in the mouthpiece that come from the mic, I twisted them onto the end of a 3.5mm plug and tried that in the laptop, exactly same thing, could hear when I blew into it, but no voice or anything audible. However I am not really sure if that is expected to work, (wasn't going to pull my bose apart to test that!)

Does this sound like the mic is faulty or likely something with the circuit board? Unfortunately we don't have any electronic suppliers here to just grab a new mic and wire it in, I assume if I can find one the right size it should be a cheap fix but not 100% sure that will be fix it since it seems to pickup the audio which half leads me to think the mic must be ok.

pic: imgur com/a/tujtat4

thanks!

B737900er
1st Feb 2020, 11:56
Don't bother wasting your time. You bought cheap and got cheap, unfortunately. I personally would have contacted the seller and told them they don't work and want them to pay for the postage to return them.

Now that you have taken them apart they are worthless.

kdn
2nd Feb 2020, 22:36
Hi thanks for the reply, I ended up soldering in a new dynamic microphone in place and it seems to be working well now.