PDA

View Full Version : Japanese "Speed Limit"

aviatorhi
22nd Jan 2020, 12:49
I recall that Japan used to have a "Speed Control" requirement listed in the airway manuals for 250 knots below 10,000' and 200 knots below 3,000'. When I was recently going thru the (Jeppesen) manuals I noticed it is not there anymore. Is anyone aware of this being changed? Did I miss it, was it moved, or deleted altogether?

bigduke6
22nd Jan 2020, 16:14
RJAA 10-1B page in Jepps still has the 250 at and below 10,000’. Dated July of 2019, for what it is worth.

Cough
22nd Jan 2020, 19:29
RJBB has similar on LIDO charts, along with the 200kt/3000' restriction too.

Sue Ridgepipe
23rd Jan 2020, 01:35
Not sure about the Jepps as our company doesn't use them, but it's most definitely still a requirement. You can find the Japanese AIP online here https://aisjapan.mlit.go.jp/Login.do it's free, you just need to create an account.
To save you the trouble, here's an extract from section ENR1 GENERAL RULES AND PROCEDURES:

8. Aircraft Speed Limitation
Any aircraft shall not be operated at an indicated airspeed of more
than
a) At or below 900m(3,000 ft) above MSL within control zone;
1) in the case of a reciprocating engine aircraft, 160 knots;
or
2) In the case of a turbine-powered aircraft, 200 knots
b) Above 900m (3,000ft) above MSL within control zone, or at
or below 3,000m (10,000ft) above mean sea level within a
approach control area, 250 knots
However if aircraft is instructed by ATC to be operated at a
greater airspeed than the maximum airspeed prescribed
above, the aircraft may be operated at that airspeed, or the
minimum safe airspeed to ensure safe operation is greater
than the maximum airspeed prescribed above, the aircraft
may be operated at that minimum safe airspeed. Above
provisions may not be applied if a permission is obtained
from the Minister of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and
Tourism.

aviatorhi
23rd Jan 2020, 12:35
Not sure about the Jepps as our company doesn't use them, but it's most definitely still a requirement. You can find the Japanese AIP online here https://aisjapan.mlit.go.jp/Login.do it's free, you just need to create an account.
To save you the trouble, here's an extract from section ENR1 GENERAL RULES AND PROCEDURES:

Thanks, this is what I was looking for, surprised it has disappeared from the Jepps, I'm not sure if it's changed, but it seems that "free speed" is ok in Japan; wasn't aware of this - the Jepps always showed it as a "hard" limit (like the US). Appreciate you posting the excerpt.

petrichor
25th Jan 2020, 06:39
Thanks, this is what I was looking for, surprised it has disappeared from the Jepps, I'm not sure if it's changed, but it seems that "free speed" is ok in Japan; wasn't aware of this - the Jepps always showed it as a "hard" limit (like the US). Appreciate you posting the excerpt.

Not sure what you mean free speed being ok in Japan. ATC will not approve any requests for high speed below 10,000ft as they have no authority to do so, as per the equivalent ANO, it is only the ministry quoted earlier that can do so therefore it is a legal requirement to maintain 250kts below 10,000ft. I'm guessing this all changed in the 90's because I seem to remember being allowed to "do our own thing" back then, certainly in the last 20yrs I can't recall being allowed or offered high (free)speed.

Socksk738
25th Jan 2020, 16:59
If you are looking for the SPD restriction in Jepp? You have to search for Pacific-FarEast-ATC-Japan
it will be under 'Speed restriction' section. Saying...Max 250kts AT or BLW 10,000ft, not BLW 10,000ft.

aviatorhi
28th Jan 2020, 02:35
If you are looking for the SPD restriction in Jepp? You have to search for Pacific-FarEast-ATC-Japan
it will be under 'Speed restriction' section. Saying...Max 250kts AT or BLW 10,000ft, not BLW 10,000ft.

Yeah I realize that... didn't find it in the most recent airway manual you specified. Found it for Korea though (which is similar to Japan). Wondering if the new application based (rather than PDF) manual has a glitch or two.

jmmoric
28th Jan 2020, 10:34
Iceland has 250 max below FL100 in class C airspace.

HF1931
6th Feb 2020, 08:40
Hello, I am a pilot based in japan.
The speed restriction mentioned in your post remain the same.
It is described in the Jeppsen airway manual "PACIFIC" => AIRTRAFFIC CONTROL=>STATE RULES AND PROCEDURES - FAR EAST=>JAPAN=>Speed Restrictions.

As for the request to exceed the speed limits, controllers are tend to approve such request if the traffic permits recently.
I hope this post might help.

regards,

galdian
10th Feb 2020, 09:49
Interesting, I left 4 years ago and we were always told it was a legislative edict that ATC did not have the authority to permit for normal operations as an earlier poster stated.
Of course emergencies, medical cases etc no problems if declared and requested.

Hopefully things have loosened up.
Another curiosity was the 250kt was the maximum, having done and observed some JCAB checkrides if you were in unstable air and fluctuated anything above 250kts was "you broke the law" stuff and would bring heavy consideration as to whether you passed or failed the checkride.

Cheers.