PDA

View Full Version : First 'official' PPL lesson!

TheKentishFledgling
11th Aug 2002, 08:41
I'm still on a high from my first "official" PPL lesson at Manston yesterday :)

The TAFs were all wrong, and there was actually very little cloud below 10,000'....perfect for a first lesson!

At the club the CFI and my instructor had a look through my log at the passenger flying I've done (about 40 hours) and decided that we'd whiz through the first few exercises (effects of controls and straight and level) and see how it went.

So after a thorough briefing we made our way out to G-BHED, a C152 Aerobat, and gave it a thorough walkaround. I then started her up and Kevin taxyed off the grass onto the main taxyway and I took control. Down to the hold, power checks complete, and Kev asked "do you wanna try the take off?"! Silly question really ;)

The take off different from what I thought it would be like, but we got airborne safely, climbed away to the north and started the exercises.

An hour later we returned to Manston having completely exercises 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 :)

I was completley knackered after the lesson - it's a lot harder than sitting in the right hand seat making a few turns now and then :D

The thought of soloing at the moment is completely terrifying - is this a good thing?!

Next lesson Thursday - can't wait! I'm hoping for equally good wx :rolleyes:

tKF

Whipping Boy's SATCO
11th Aug 2002, 08:54
Congratulations. First solo still a bit off so don't worry. You will find that your instructor (hopefully) will teach you to walk before you can run. One word of advice, try and keep continuity; there's nothing worse than taking afew weeks off and then having to re-learn something.

2Donkeys
11th Aug 2002, 08:56
Well done Mr. L. A true aviator now. :D:D

TheKentishFledgling
11th Aug 2002, 09:02
2Donks - as I said to stik last night, it's a flying school you'd both like....the instructors wear epaulettes....but they've just bought a lovely big Stearman! :D

tKF

distaff_beancounter
11th Aug 2002, 09:19
TKL Well done:)

Keep posting here, to tell us how your training goes.

AerBabe
11th Aug 2002, 10:43
Well done TKF. Have you stopped grinning yet? :)

TheKentishFledgling
11th Aug 2002, 10:49
:D :D :D :D

tKF

AerBabe
11th Aug 2002, 10:53
Thought not ;)

sennadog
11th Aug 2002, 17:15
Nice one. Enjoy your training.

djk
11th Aug 2002, 19:20
EXCELLENT!!! Welcome aboard :D

Canadian Luscombe
11th Aug 2002, 19:57
Good work TKF! There's no going back now!

I don't know what log you original post refers to, but I hope that you are not maintaining a pilot logbook that includes "passenger" time (you're welcome to keep whatever unofficial logs you like, but don't mix this up with the official logbook documenting your pilot experience, or you may run into trouble later for misrepresenting your dual flights).

Don't worry about the solo flight; you won't be doing it until both you and your instructor know that you are ready.

Enjoy yourself ... that's what it's all about!:D

TheKentishFledgling
11th Aug 2002, 20:11
I don't know what log you original post refers to, but I hope that you are not maintaining a pilot logbook that includes "passenger" time (you're welcome to keep whatever unofficial logs you like, but don't mix this up with the official logbook documenting your pilot experience, or you may run into trouble later for misrepresenting your dual flights).

It's simply a log book with the flights entered but nothing in the flight times columns, and nothing in the holder's operating capacity column.

tKF

eveepee
11th Aug 2002, 20:55
Congratulations TKF - perhaps we'll meet over Kentish skies - not too close I hope:D

TheKentishFledgling
11th Aug 2002, 21:04
eveepee where in Kent do you fly from?

tKF

skyraider
12th Aug 2002, 08:42
:D :D :D

Sky

eveepee
12th Aug 2002, 09:13
TKF - Rochester, usually Thursdays. Try to have one lesson a week, wx permitting. At present on circuits and likely to be for the forseeable future...:D

Grim Reaper 14
12th Aug 2002, 09:25
TWF!!! (Top work fella):D :cool: :D :cool:

KazBird
12th Aug 2002, 10:28
tKF
Congrats on first flight and good choice of flying school!
I passed my PPL there last year so might see you there one weekend!

KB

AerBabe
12th Aug 2002, 11:21
Now eveepee what have I told you? Eh?? No comments about your flying unless they're going to be positive or constructive ;)
You wanna come flying with me later this week? Emailed you about it anyway chook :)

eveepee
12th Aug 2002, 17:07
Aerbabe :

I considered that the "forseeable future" was being optimistic. In a pessimistic mood I would have said "forever" !:D Thanks for the offer - email already sent.

Future Pundit
12th Aug 2002, 19:19
Well done! I have just finished my PPL.

There is one document that I wish I had read at the beginning of my training, not at the end when I was sending my log book off to the CAA.

It is 'Recording of Flight Time' General Information Document 44 availble of the CAA website. It gives instruction on the correct entry of hours in your log book- PIC, P1, SPIC P2 etc.

Good luck.