PDA

View Full Version : Hawarden

Oceansailer
7th Jan 2020, 15:15
Does anybody know any details of any flying group or club at Hawarden.
Im thinking of relocating to Chester and looking at options for flying nearby.
cheers

mark25787
8th Jan 2020, 09:37
Unfortunately, the resident flying club there closed down in November.
I have been told of a group flying "club" there called Cheshire Flying Club, who apparently operate a 2000 Robin HR200. Their website is cheshireflyingclub.com.
Apart from that, unless another club appears there, the options are Liverpool, Barton, Sleap, Caernarvon or Mona.

Oceansailer
8th Jan 2020, 11:47
Thanks for the info Mark. I will look into all of those.

BoeingBoy
13th Jan 2020, 11:43
I'm a resident at Chester and at the moment there is no formal flying school other than an IR school that operates a Turbo Arrow and a leased Seneca. I think there will be another school set up in the near future but by whom is not yet clear.

As far as I know there are groups running around a Warrior and a Beagle Pup. The Robin group is news to me but I did see it there recently so presume it's as described on the web site.

The airport offers excellent facilities with full ATC, big runways and twin ILS. However as a private airfield there are protocols and procedures decreed by Airbus that make life a little formal. It's strictly perfect RT and full yellow jacket territory. ;-)

You will also need to be an ace at crosswind landings as the wind is only down the runway twice a year! :-)

mark25787
13th Jan 2020, 12:45
I think there will be another school set up in the near future but by whom is not yet clear.

Hope this happens...was planning to get my PPL revalidation started this year and EGNR is a very convenient location geographically for me to get this done!

rech
16th Jan 2020, 12:58
You should also consider Welshpool. C172 or PA38 available.

mark25787
16th Jan 2020, 15:27
You should also consider Welshpool. C172 or PA38 available.

Yep, but run by same person as Flintshire Flying School (who I would say is a very well respected display and airline pilot!) but I would be a little cautious about operations there given what happened with no notice at Hawarden.

arelix
18th Jan 2020, 01:23
JD aviation at Hawarden should be able to sort your ppl reval

rech
21st Jan 2020, 09:58
Yep, but run by same person as Flintshire Flying School (who I would say is a very well respected display and airline pilot!) but I would be a little cautious about operations there given what happened with no notice at Hawarden.

Understood. In fact I just did my own bi-annual 'flight with instructor' at JD Aviation. I can't fault them.