PDA

View Full Version : My Plan to Return to Aviation- advice please

Tscottme
6th Jan 2020, 17:04
I'm 54 years old and out of flying for maybe 20 years. 200 Total Time PPL/IFR and A&P license, Embry-Riddle BS (non-flying degree). I left aviation due to finances. I now have $90-100k in savings. I'm considering getting back in, but I'm not sure what job to aim for. I don't think I've ever been interested in airline flying. I am thinking about full-time flight instructing. I REALLY like IFR flying/training. I did not much like turning wrenches on airplanes.

My plan is find a high(er)-quality flight school, get the rest of my ratings there, and then work as CFI/II/MEI at that school. I've seen a lot of info about Lufthansa Aviation Training in Goodyear, AZ. The pay and conditions for their CFIs is exactly what I'm looking for as a job, but I believe their students are all in various airline's pipelines. I don't think they train walk-in US students. I briefly worked for American Flyers in Operations. That's where I got my IR.

What are the high(er)-quality flight schools with plenty of students in the US? I think Part 141 suits me as a student and future employee. I think my best option is the student then employee route at the same school. At American Flyers that worked pretty well for school and student/employee. I'm not sure I want to do this at American Flyers if there are other options.

I wasn't sure if this post belonged in the North American or the Instructors forum. Maybe the mods can move it where they think best.

parkfell
9th Jan 2020, 07:42
Get your medical first before anything else.
Hopefully the flying skills will come back ~ like riding a bike.
Take your time.....

Booglebox
9th Jan 2020, 21:25
Take a look at CAE at Falcon Field.