PDA

View Full Version : Booker

Speedbird744
10th Aug 2002, 21:09
Can someone give me information on the area surrounding Wycombe Air Park, such as the local landmarks and how to find them.

Bouncy Landing
10th Aug 2002, 21:41
If you need to ask that I hope you dont fly what your name suggets you do....

Bright-Ling
10th Aug 2002, 22:33
Bouncy - given that the profile says he is a student, it is very unlikely!

Few things I remember are the Golden Ball downwind, and the pig farm on climbout.

Oh.......and the M40!

BRL
11th Aug 2002, 00:19
If he doesn't fly one, then then he must be a..... SPOTTER :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Kuhtai
11th Aug 2002, 06:12
Hava a look at their website **Link to commercual site removed. Please e-mail the poster the link. Thanks.**under the visit by air section. It has full details of how to get there and photographs.

Wycombe
11th Aug 2002, 10:01
....send me a mail at Wycombe ([email protected]) , describing exactly what you are after (is it local landmarks, or visual refs. actually used by Air Traffic at Wycombe?) and I'd be pleased to help.

I won't list it here as there is quite a bit. Wycombe has non-standard joins, departures and circuits as well. Again, if you need all the detail, I'll be happy to help.

Cheers

Brizzo
11th Aug 2002, 10:39
I can help with pubs!

ATCbabe
11th Aug 2002, 11:12
Ohhhhh memories :D

I remember the golden ball downwind so well!!!:D

QDMQDMQDM
11th Aug 2002, 18:45
I won't list it here as there is quite a bit.

Wycombe,

It would be a help if you could list it, as I am possibly going in there on Thursday.

QDM

Evo7
11th Aug 2002, 19:40
I'll hopefully be going in there Thursday on my QXC, QDMx3, so I'll keep a look out for a Cub.... :)

QDMQDMQDM
11th Aug 2002, 20:56
I'll keep a look out for a Cub....

Bright yellow. G-CUBP.

Possibly see you there. ;) I've got to go to a biz meeting, so if I come I will be arriving quite early and parking for several hours.

QDM

eyeinthesky
12th Aug 2002, 09:32
QDMQDMQDM and others:

If you are planning to fly into Wycombe, then note the fact that it is STRICTLY PPR due to the non-standard overhead joins and strict noise routes. You would be better to phone them and get a proper phone briefing than try to glean it all from here. I have seen far too many people come blasting into the overhead, into the gliding side descending 'dead side' (there is NO dead side!) and then belting across the top of Lane End (very noise sensitive) because they haven't bothered to get a proper briefing.:rolleyes:

Bouncy Landing
12th Aug 2002, 10:31
My thoughts exactly Big Red "L".........

Evo7
12th Aug 2002, 10:52
Is this link (http://www.bafc.co.uk/bafcvisitbyair.htm) acceptable?

Not trying to provoke, BRL, but it contains no commercial information that I can see and some useful information on reaching Wycombe...

Aussie Andy
12th Aug 2002, 10:57
I think removal of flying club links is ridiculous BRL... what's the risk?

But for those that need the info, just try entering name of airfield into Google and it should get you there anyway!

Best approach points are:

1) Stokenchurch Mast - about 4 miles west-north-west of the field, atop the edge of the Chiltern escarpment and right on the Motorway (M40). Makes a great vertical landmark. Find this, then call "at Stokenchurch" for joining instructions (likely to be downdind for 25 RH). The West Wycombe "Golden Ball" will be rough;ly where you turn base.

2) Princes Risborough - this town easy to find visually if approaching from the North. Call here for joining instructions, then track down the valley to find the legendary "Golden Ball".

Hope this helps,

QDMQDMQDM
12th Aug 2002, 11:27
If you are planning to fly into Wycombe, then note the fact that it is STRICTLY PPR due to the non-standard overhead joins and strict noise routes.

PPR or not, I have yet to fly into anywhere without phoning first. This remains a useful forum, though, in which to gather info.

QDM

Wycombe
12th Aug 2002, 15:19
....good stuff from Andy, as usual. I would add the following as visual joining Ref's:

"Chinnor for join" - to the North of the field, a huge cement works with big chimney, just beneath the Chiltern escarpment, between the afore-mentioned Stokenchurch & Princes Risborough points.

"Henley for join" - good one if approaching from the SW. After calling at Henley, and if they're on 25, continue roughly N (towards the Stokenchurch mast, if you can see it) until you are past the extended c-line of 25/07 and then feed yourself onto extended downwind for 25 (this is necessary to keep you well clear of the gliders/tugs to the S of 25/07).

If approaching directly from the W (CPT VOR) or E/NE (via CHT NDB of BNN VOR), call early (at least 4 miles out) and you will always get a straight-in *if* it's quiet enough. Don't descend below 1200' QFE until you are cleared for the straight-in, though, as you may get sent to the overhead at this height.

If it's busy and you don't get a downwind, base or straight-in join, be prepared to join overhead, which at Wycombe means:

1. Enter the ATZ at 1500' QFE
2. Fly a pattern consistent with the circuit in use (ie, above it) that gets you onto the QDM of the rwy in use
3. Once on the QDM, descend to 1200' QFE
4. When over the threshold, call "overhead"
5. When cleared to "report downwind", fly to the runway midpoint, turn crosswind and descend to 1000' QFE before you turn downwind. Give way to traffic already downwind

I said there was quite a bit (and this is just joins!)

When my fingers have recovered, I'll post some stuff on departures aswell (if you're interested)...that is also decidedly non-standard (but fun!), especially on 07.

Cheers

Hope this is useful for BA744, QDM etc.

Aussie Andy
12th Aug 2002, 15:32
G'day Wycombe - re- 07 noise abatement departure being fun: my kids now express dissappointment whenever we depart any way other than on 07 as they whoop with delight when I make the turn abeam the windsock onto 020 (is it?) and love seeing the cars on lorries on the motorway seemingly just beneath the wingtip :) I never get to appreciate this of course, as I am looking ahead!

BRL
12th Aug 2002, 16:23
I think removal of flying club links is ridiculous BRL... what's the risk?

Andy. The 'risk' is Fred Blogs' in the hanger next door e-mailing me and having a go that they get a free plug. Next thing, he registers and starts a thread and plugs his site. Trust me when i say this happens. Then, the people who legaly advertise on this site start e-mailing having a go and threaten to stop paying for advertising. This really does happen. I will forward every mail that i get to you if you don't believe me. I hope this settles it now as virtually all your recent posts contain a pop at me for removing these links.

Aussie Andy
12th Aug 2002, 17:01
Paul: I suggest you look here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=86375) and you will see that it is not correct to say that virtually all of my recent posts contain a pop at you.

I see that PPrune Radar (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=594587#post594587) has clarified this issue and is seems pretty clear that it should generally be OK for us to post links to e.g. flying club websites and others where we are not standing to make commercial gain, which is fair enough and I think pretty well balanced.

Sorry that you seem a bit needled.

BRL
12th Aug 2002, 17:03
Fair enough Andy. I hope this is put to bed now. :)

Aussie Andy
12th Aug 2002, 17:33
No worries - I appreciate the forum and your efforts.