PDA

View Full Version : Flight crew - maintenance action/task training

jaja
1st Jan 2020, 16:04
Are you as a flight crew trained to perform simple maintenance actions/tasks ?

Some maintenance actions (“M” procedure under MEL) or maintenance tasks (e.g. computer reset or system test using CFDS) are quite simple.

We are talking Airbus, and the simple maintenance actions/tasks are being performed by flight crew under guidance of tech depart using phone + writing instructions.

EASA describe in AMC 145.A.30(j)(4) para 2(i) how flight crew can be trained to perform maintenance tasks :

https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/Annex%20II%20to%20Decision%202015-029-R%20-%20%28AMC-GM%20Part-145%29.pdf

AMC 145.A.30(j)(4) para 2(i)

Typical tasks that may be certified and/or carried out by the commander holding an ATPL or CPL are minor maintenance or simple checks included in the following list:

(a) Replacement of internal lights, filaments and flash tubes.

(b) Closing of cowlings and refitment of quick access inspection panels.

(c) Role changes e.g. stretcher fit, dual controls, FLIR, doors, photographic equipment etc

(d) Inspection for and removal of de-icing/anti-icing fluid residues, including removal/closure of panels, cowls or covers that are easily accessible but not requiring the use of special tools.

(e) Any check/replacement involving simple techniques consistent with this AMC and as agreed by the competent authority

Check Airman
1st Jan 2020, 16:32
Nope

10 characters

Capt Scribble
1st Jan 2020, 16:48
Yes. Airbus. UK Charter (defunct)

OldLurker
1st Jan 2020, 17:16
Typical tasks that may be certified and/or carried out by the commander holding an ATPL or CPL are minor maintenance or simple checks included in the following list:

(a) Replacement of internal lights, filaments and flash tubes.Wow, you need a CPL to change a light bulb nowadays?

fdgolf
1st Jan 2020, 20:12
Hi,

Not trained yet. There is a big controversy where I fly, since if we are allowed to perform minor Maintenance tasks, we should also be trained AND checked/tested on those actions.
An e-learning might be on the way, we'll see if that is good enough, since the checking/testing is where issues might arise (legal side, unions, etc.)

Cheers

B737900er
3rd Jan 2020, 12:17
Some operators will train their Captains, and they will be given what is called an LCA approval (Limited Commanders Authorisation). This approval allows Captains to defer some maintenance items, such as CB resets, blocking off toilets etc. The Captain will be given an approval number and this will be used in signing the Techlog.

pineteam
4th Jan 2020, 01:18
We are not allowed to perform maintenance actions regarding defect; We can only release the aircraft in the very unlikely scenario we land in an airport without maintenance under the condition there is no defect.

ReturningVector
4th Jan 2020, 21:36
Yes, we are allowed to do certain maintenance tasks under part 145. When the situation arises, we have to read a training document for the related AMM task on the spot and then perform the tasks supervised by a maintaince engineer by phone.

To put thing in perspective, I think the easiest task we are allowed to perform is pulling and clipping a cb, and the most difficult one swapping out two display units.

This is a legacy European operator, short haul aircraft.

jaja
7th Jan 2020, 15:11
ReturningVector : these maintenance tasks under part 145, are they listed for you, so it is only these you are allowed to perform or can you be supervised on the day by a maintaince engineer by phone.

Capt Scribble : same question for you ?

Capt Scribble
8th Jan 2020, 08:14
My grand training certificate states that I am qualified for the “Pilot Approved Maintenance List”. The idea was that an MEL that needed a CB pulling, locking out toilets, removing inop equipment and some others, could be completed by the pilot under telephone guidance and signed off in the tech log as such. The list was in the Ops Manual.

B737900er
8th Jan 2020, 08:16
My grand training certificate states that I am qualified for the “Pilot Approved Maintenance List”. The idea was that an MEL that needed a CB pulling, locking out toilets, removing inop equipment and some others, could be completed by the pilot under telephone guidance and signed off in the tech log as such. The list was in the Ops Manual.
the Same for my operator.