PDA

View Full Version : IMC Rating

mark tuck
10th Aug 2002, 18:07
I am planning to go to Florida in September to gain an IMC Rating.
Has anyone been out there recently to do the same?
Where did you go & would you recommend that school?
How long did it take you?
Do I need a visa? (as I understand you now do for a PPL)

A lot of questions, but I want to make sure I choose correctly first time.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
MT

Tinker
10th Aug 2002, 19:03
I'm sure there are many places in the US that offer a CAA IMC rating. Naples Air Centre seems to be as good as place as any, I've rented their aircraft and know 2 people who got an IMC rating through them and the reports are all positive. They also seem to be knowledgeable about visa requirements and may be a good port of call for your initial enquires.

Flying Tooth Driller
12th Aug 2002, 01:10
You will need an M1 student visa.

You might think about waiting till October, when the weather is getting cooler and less humid. November is even nicer. It can get VERY hot and unpleasant under the hood when the OAT is 94F on the ground and the humidity is 98%!

getupah
12th Aug 2002, 17:04
But we have plenty of $h!te weather in the UK to practice with!!

:)

buzby15
12th Aug 2002, 22:46
I did mine at Ormand Beach Aviation in November 2000, in a rather old cherokee which had a DI that slipped by 30 degrees every time you went round the hold. My two instructors were excellent, and the american who did the exam (held a british examiners rating) was also good, BUT I was a lucky one. The PPL students were less than happy with the school, and considered themselves treated badly by the British owner. Accommodation was in shared rooms in private houses near the airfield. Pleasant enough. As am IMC student I did my 15 hours mostly on the first and last slots of the day so dark for much of my training since thats when the planes were not being used by the PPL students. Good price and would I use OBA again, well quite frankly no. However I do believe that Florida is a good place to do IMC training, but try to do an hour or so with an instructor in the UK on your return in real IMC if you can - supposing you dont get any real IMC in the US

mark tuck
12th Aug 2002, 23:06
would I use OBA again, well quite frankly no.

I know where you're coming from. I did some hours building at OBA a couple of years ago and certainly won't be going back.

Grim Reaper 14
13th Aug 2002, 09:40
What's that I can hear? Is it 'Big Red L' with a warning? I think so....here he comes!!!!!!!!!!;)