PDA

View Full Version : EASA (France) PPL etc from FAA?

n5296s
31st Dec 2019, 00:24
I realise this probably isn't the best place to ask, but it's the best I know of... I have an FAA CPL-ASEL/IR, also a PPL-H though I'm not sure that matters. We're likely moving back to France some time in the near future. I can keep my FAA license but I suspect it will make life simpler if I get at least a PPL in France also. Has anyone here been down this or a similar route? Although I have a CPL I've never exercised its privileges, and wouldn't plan to on returning either, so I don't really need an EASA CPL - though if it can be done without too much effort, why not. Does anyone have experience of getting an EASA IR taking advantage of an existing FAA IR?

No idea what kind of flying I'll be doing, I will possibly/probably bring my N-reg TR182 back with me, though that's another whole can of worms. Any thoughts on that would be welcome too. I'll (most probably) be living in/around Nice, so my nearest airport is Cannes-Mandelieu (LFMD).

Many thanks for any thoughts...

rudestuff
31st Dec 2019, 00:36
It's pretty straightforward. You need 2 exams, a medical and a skill test to convert your CPL to an EASA PPL.
To convert the IR you have a couple of options but the easiest is via one of CBIR routes: If you have 50 hours as PIC under IFR then there is no training required (obviously it makes sense to fly a few practice tests!) and no theory exams either - it's all done verbally with the examiner.

n5296s
2nd Jan 2020, 00:52
To answer my own question... I just joined PPL-IR and in their magazine 122 (Autumn 2019) there is a long article about exactly this.