PDA

View Full Version : Thinking outside the box - Command Assessment

Capt_dan
21st Dec 2019, 10:17
Hi Aviators,

I have been given a last minute call for potential command assessment tomorrow. Looking for some advice/knowledge on scenarios that you have been given that caused you to think out of the box. Any experiences that you have had in the sim or the interview that you came away from having not thought about previous to the assessment would be welcomed, nothing is to mundane. Things like Diversions, Fuel Leaks, Weather problems, Airport issues, Tech issues, Crew issues and general command thought processes would be gratefully received..

Please give the scenario and reasons for the decision made, or if you would had done it differently having reflected upon it. Other than OMA and OMB if there is any publication worth reading as I approach the path to command would also be well received.

Thank you all in advance.

B737900er
27th Dec 2019, 15:44
Surely you would have been studying for your command and asking these questions, or asking what types of questions are being asked at the assessment instead of the night before on PPrune?

"So you want to be a Captain" is a free document and a good read.

Check Airman
27th Dec 2019, 20:28
That’s all gonna be situation specific, isn’t it? I went sufficiently outside the box on my captain checkride that the instructor I had as seat support had to turn to the examiner to see if it was kosher.

Do what you’d do on the line. Know your company manuals. As long as your course of action is reasonable, you’ll be ok.

Fly3
28th Dec 2019, 02:42
There is a saying that goes "There are more ways than one to skin a cat". Having said that your solution may not be the examiners solution but if you land safely after the event and the passengers disembark normally at the gate I would call that a win.

hans brinker
28th Dec 2019, 05:27
Don't do anything surprising.

FlightDetent
28th Dec 2019, 06:14
Make sure to demonstrate proper use of the tools inside the box first.

Check Airman
28th Dec 2019, 08:12

May I borrow this quote? Quite clever.

hans brinker
28th Dec 2019, 17:42

It is okay to reinvent the wheel, just make sure it is round.

FlightDetent
28th Dec 2019, 18:30
Mine's just a rehash of your #5, which I like the best as it reminds me of Geroge Carlin distilling the 10 commandments.

Check Airman Anyone's welcome not to repeat my mistakes :)

Where did the 3 initial responses in this thread go?

Yaw String
29th Dec 2019, 10:18
Try to recall the worst captain you have ever flown with....Remember his modus operandi...and don't copy it!
That will do as a start..

Good luck,or,as they say in Chiantishire,.."In the back door of the whale"!

safetypee
29th Dec 2019, 11:26
Also used here - Critical thinking -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c5otpsl20awxr35/Critical%20Thinking.pdf?dl=0

P.S.
Also - Situation Awareness - https://www.dropbox.com/s/6p4jfr8d2qo426x/Gaining%20and%20Maintaining%20Situation%20Awareness.pptx?dl= 0
and
Decision Making - https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3pujr319xwacgv/Making%20Better%20Decisions.pptx?dl=0

misd-agin
29th Dec 2019, 18:17

Priceless. Inside the box covers 95% (98? 99?) of the stuff. Outside the box is a minor percentage, albeit a very valuable percentage.

BluSdUp
29th Dec 2019, 20:37
There is a Box!!?
With tools!!
Ahhhh.
After all these years,,,,,

Anyway, OP : How did it go?

Regards from the Outside!
CptB

FlightDetent
30th Dec 2019, 01:33
CptB nothing on the 25th? Must have been a naughty one!

2OP: curious as well, how was it?