PDA

View Full Version : 43 Air School + FAA Licneces

Piper Warrior Pilot
10th Aug 2002, 06:31
Ive considered the Orlando Flight Training Centre for my PPL next summer, and from what ive heard about the Visas, it sounds harder to get the visa than it does to get the actual licence.

The FTO did contact me and have sent a brochure out to me, so i will take a look through it.

Can anyone tell me if i would be able to fly G registered aircraft in the UK with an FAA licence. I know that most peoples answers will be 'dont bother with an FAA licence' but if someone could let me know what my options would be with it, id be grateful.

Also, ive been looking at the 43 Air School in South Africa who seem to have a very good reputation and are used by many African defence forces and South African Airlines to train their cadets. If anyone has any experiences or comments about them, id be very grateful if you could e-mail me.

Thankyou for everyones replies to my threads and im sory for being a pain in the a**e. ;)

Thanks Guys

Piper Warrior Pilot
10th Aug 2002, 06:33
Ive considered the Orlando Flight Training Centre for my PPL next summer, and from what ive heard about the Visas, it sounds harder to get the visa than it does to get the actual licence.

The FTO did contact me and have sent a brochure out to me, so i will take a look through it.

Can anyone tell me if i would be able to fly G registered aircraft in the UK with an FAA licence. I know that most peoples answers will be 'dont bother with an FAA licence' but if someone could let me know what my options would be with it, id be grateful.

Also, ive been looking at the 43 Air School in South Africa who seem to have a very good reputation and are used by many African defence forces and South African Airlines to train their cadets. If anyone has any experiences or comments about them, id be very grateful if you could e-mail me.

Thankyou for everyones replies to my threads and im sory for being a pain in the a**e. ;)

Thanks Guys

2Donkeys
10th Aug 2002, 07:38
The FAA Private Pilots Certificate is a recognised ICAO licence.

With one in your hand, you will be able to fly a G-reg aircraft in the UK during daylight hours and under VFR.

You will not be able to take the aircraft out of the UK FIRs though, so no daytrips to Le Touquet.

Gaza
10th Aug 2002, 08:42
You cannot fly G Reg aircraft on an FAA PPL. You will have to convert it on your return. I cannot remember exactly what you need to do but one thing I do remember is you have to do the UK Air Law paper. One advantage is you will get your Night Rating from the off. This is included as part of the standard FAA PPL.

Have you checked to see if you can do a JAA PPL in the US? I did mine (CCA PPL, as it was then) in Florida. Flight Safety International .Link to commercial web-site removed. Please do a search for the above. - are worth a look.

The classifieds at the back of Pilot or Flyer should provide good info.

When I did my PPL I did not require a J1 Student Visa as I was only doing the basic PPL. If I had been doing the full Monty then i would have need the J1

Irv
10th Aug 2002, 17:26
Gaza: "You cannot fly G Reg aircraft on an FAA PPL. "

(The sounds of cash registers echoes somewhere in the distant past... .:rolleyes: ) sounds like the voice of the CAA circa 1991 - ask the question 'can I fly in the UK on an FAA PPL?' and get the answer tp a totally different question namely 'how do I convert a FAA PPL to a UK one'. Doesn't happen nowadays, I quickly add!

Of course you can fly G reg - day vfr, uk airspace, plenty of punters do it, just keep your FAA ticket fully valid. Personally having checked out 'both' FAA and SA new PPLs and I reckon SA courses are more suited to UK environment, but we welcome FAA or SA licence holder at our airfield.
I have rented and undergone training at one SA school (Algoa), and liked what I saw.

Facts Not Fiction Pls
10th Aug 2002, 18:02

The M-1 is such an easy application; don't know where you got your info from!

Send in an I-20 m-n form that the school supplies, fill out a DS 156 and DS 157 (school will send or you can get off the web), pay 46 quid and send off to Embassy with passport.

You will have your passport returned with said Visa in up to 10 biz days.

They may ask for proof that you are coming back to the UK; can do that with return ticket, returning to a job, mortgage, rent etc.

Anyone that says the process is difficult either doesn't know about it or doesn't offer it!!!!!
;)

BRL
11th Aug 2002, 00:40
No one is saying the process is difficult. The problem with visas is whether you have the right one. There was a guy who posted here recently, i can't remember who offhand, who went to America to fly/hour build/convert, and they wouldn't let him in when he got there because of this. Thats the worrying part of it. Getting one is as easy as getting road tax for your car. (Saying that now, have a look at this thread...Click me (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62794)
There are plenty of threads here to help you out about this

Facts Not Fiction Pls
11th Aug 2002, 03:21
it sounds harder to get the visa than it does to get the actual licence.

I believe that Piper Warrior in suggesting that it is harder to get a Visa than a licence, is saying that the process is difficult!

As for the "Which Visa" issue, just ring up the US Embassy and they're tell you. There was a post the other day from someone who did just that and was told which Visa he needed.

Piper Warrior Pilot
11th Aug 2002, 06:18
The reason why i came to the conclusion that it was difficult to get a visa is:

1. Ive noticed a lot of threads saying how students cant get visas because of the reason for their journey to the US.

2. A PPRUNER told me that the difficult part of my selection of US schools would be getting the visa and he told me to concentrate on that.

Anyway, ive considered all of my options and ive decided to go to a South African flying school. No conversion, extremely cheap, good levels of instruction etc...

Not sure which one yet though

Thanks for all of your help

BRL
11th Aug 2002, 08:22
Facts Not Fiction Pls Sorry, please forgive me, looks like i misunderstood :)

Piper Warrior Pilot Very best of luck with your training. Let us know how its going... :)

JayCeeEll
12th Aug 2002, 09:33
One word of caution with an SA licence is that it is TYPE RATED.

If you learn on a C150/152 you can only fly the same type until you have conversion training and pass a 10 question exam set by a SA FI.
The conversion training can be done by a JAA/CAA FI but must signed off by the SA FI.

There is now one SA FI in the UK, he works out of Popham I think.

Not particularly onerous but something to take into account.

JCL

BlueRobin
12th Aug 2002, 10:21
Ah, a SA/UK FI you say? That'd be Irv Lee, who has posted a comment above :cool:

Pilot16
12th Aug 2002, 11:54
Piper Warrior Pilot, I thought you said you already started your PPL. Have you changed your mind or somethin?

Piper Warrior Pilot
12th Aug 2002, 13:32
I had a few lessons and then thought to myself:

'I can continue doing one lesson per month due to money, or i can save for another year and go to South Africa and get my licence in a month'

This wouold obviously mean that i could have a PPL next year if i went to SA but it would take me about 4 years here to get my PPL

BlueRobin
12th Aug 2002, 16:17
PWP,

This begs a question. If you can't afford to learn, how will you be able to afford to fly AFTER your PPL? Is it worth the effort of learning only lose currency, validity and end up giving up sometime afterward? :confused:

Did you know around 80% of PPLs give up after passing their licence?

Sorry this is a negative post. Hope I haven;t put you off. Humbly await your reply to put me straight! :)

Wireless
12th Aug 2002, 18:53
Mmmm, I don't agree with that to be honest.

I think getting the licence is a brick wall as you more or less have to pay high prices for ancient, expensively insured club a/c. Once you have the PPL it opens up a world of cheaper flying. I for one found out about the group aircraft at my airfield straight after gaining my licence. I ended up paying a few hundred quid for an insurance share in a single seater that cost 10 quid a hour (wet) to fly. Since gaining my licence 6 years ago I have never had to rent an aeroplane (except for the BFR).

Just use your imagination, cheap (ish) flying can be had if you are not too proud to fly something that is slow and has no roof:D

Bill

Piper Warrior Pilot
12th Aug 2002, 18:55
You havent put me off at all.

I will be able to fly after my PPL because i already have a decent part time job which pays well.

The thing is if i stay in this country its either PPL or leisure stuff and holidays. If i go to SA i can have a holiday whilst flying and getting my PPL. Im planning on doing my exams before i go.

Basically, i want to have as small a gap between lessons as possible. One or two lessons per month isnt a lot but if i do a full time course then i will be flying every day.

Pilot16
13th Aug 2002, 13:41
PWP, Have you tried asking your parents to help you out financially? You can try that. If you explain to them, its not just about PPL, its your career. I think it is important you also think about how you will finance the rest of your training. I know it is very daunting when you think about what lies before you, you are exactly in my position, a school leaver (but with a job!). Im still running around to find work for a month now, no luck :(