PDA

View Full Version : how easy is it to be able to work in Canada

SkyCruiser
9th Aug 2002, 20:28
Hello,

I am type rated on a turbo prop and I am looking to live and work in Canada. Just how do I go about doing this. Is it easier or harder to gain employment in the USA than Canada?

Any help would be great.

boeang747
9th Aug 2002, 21:57
How much time do you have? What are you type rated on? How much command time do you have? What country are you a citizen of?
Like I said before, just hop on a flight to Toronto and claim refugee status. Two hours later you will be on your way to a furnished two-bedroom apartment with air conditioning. After a couple of months you should have a health card, some spending cash and a new pair of shoes to boot. Of course there will be a lot of red tape (as there are 30.000.000 people in Canada and in California, however there are as many people working for the government in the province of Quebec as all of California, go figure). But during that time you will be out scouting for a flying job and converting your tickets. Once you obtain your perminent status you will be ready to go up and about flying that turbine all over this beautiful country.

Good Luck

Panama Jack
10th Aug 2002, 22:59
US. Next question.

Eric Zoolander
2nd Sep 2002, 06:18
What are you four years old?

The US dude.

60 Cent dollar higher taxes and fewer employers who all pay 3rd world wages unless you get into Air Canada.....

Give your head a shake.

BASIS
6th Sep 2002, 09:26
....and even AC starts you off at 3rd world wages. Was making more as a DH8 FO 10 years ago than what they offer for starting pay!

JoeCo
9th Sep 2002, 10:58
I don't think that the question has yet been answered. Sky Cruiser wanted to know which one was easier and which one was harder.

Now the way I figure it is that the question is a bit of a loaded one. I see it as being easier to get into Canada and be able to work, but as the other PPRuners have stated, third world wages and heavily taxed income to boot.

The US on the other hand would provide WAY more opportunities, but the kicker is that it's a b1tch to get into the country and be able to legally work.

Having said all that I know I have not clearified the issue very much, but it will have to be up to you which one you decide to pursue.

gearupgone
11th Sep 2002, 08:23
Be very carefull before you come to Canada. There are more pilots than jobs at present. I have been here 12 months, and still have no flying position. As a legally landed immigrant, you will still take backseat to a Canadain.

I have 3600hrs and have been offered a position as a flying instructor on completion of my instructor rating here - unfortunately I get no credit as Canada does not have any bilateral agreements with my counrty of birth.

One other point, I have recieved replies from Air Canada and Canada Regional stating they will not consider me for employment untill I have flown in Canada for a year.

If you want to fly here - get all your licences completed before spring, and hope to get a summer job up north.

Good luck!

stud_lee
17th Sep 2002, 18:23
Hi. I grew up in Canada but live in the States now. I still have family living there and go back often.

In terms of getting into the country, it's pretty easy compared to the States. Pretty much anyone can claim refugee status and about 90% of the time it is granted. It's amazing how many people can get it even if they have a less than desirable background.

As far as work goes, the Canadian government says the economy is "booming". Of course, it's always "booming" regardless of how bleak the statistics are. Frankly, the private sector is anemic right now and the only job growth that's occuring now is in the civil service and you need to take an exam for one of those jobs. The private sector up there is primarily reliant on what goes on here in the U.S., except Alberta, which has a large energy based economy. Supposedly things are still going will over there.

I would agree with what most people have said so far. The job market in Canada, even in a good economy, isn't that great. I don't think it would be much different in the airline industry...maybe worse. If you do find a job, the salaries are quite a bit lower and the taxes are quite a bit higher. And I don't buy the claim that "you get more out of it". I don't see much difference in what I get back in the states than what I got back in Canada. But anyways, I think it would be harder to find a job in Canada than in the U.S., and the economy is really hurting here too, so that says a lot!

Where are you coming from anyways?

Tiger Tim
21st Sep 2002, 06:19
Gents,

Reading all about the Canadian aviation industry interests me as I plan to join family in QC in a few years, and live there, hopefully to fly. I currently fly for the RAF with several 1000hrs.

What are your opinions, for industry recovery by, say, 2005?

I would be interested in either regional hopping or full blown international Air Canada if that guides you to the sector I am interested in.

With thanks.

TT.

stud_lee
21st Sep 2002, 16:53
Hey, TT.

Like I mentioned before, many private industries in Canada are dependant on what happens in the U.S. Even more so now because of NAFTA. I don't think the commercial aviation industry is any different, actually. It's a bit healthier than what's going on down here, but it's still weak right now. Air Canada did post a profit last quarter, albeit a small one, but questions still remain.

I think the future of air travel up there is low fare, as you see with the start of Zip, Tango and Jazz and the success of West Jet. JetsGo seems to be off to a good start as well. However well Air Canada can adjust to this market change will determine how successul it will be in the near future. Their U.S. routes are doing really bad now and their International routes so-so.

Recovery by 2005? Depends on a lot of factors. What happens if there is a war with Iraq? That won't help the oil prices in the near term and it could further stall a recovery. Providing things don't escalate out of control, I don't see things improving too much in the U.S. or Canada for another two years. Out of all the places though, Alberta will probably have the strongest economy because of it's energy based economy. Alberta is currently seeing the highest growth in the commercial aviation sector. If Canada signs on to the Kyoto Treaty, that will change everything though. British Columbia has been in a recession for the past five years. Quebec will do only as well as politics allow it to and Ontario is heavily dependant on what goes on in the U.S.

SkyCruiser
6th Oct 2002, 19:45
Cheers guys for the info.