PDA

View Full Version : METAR

Pin Head
21st Nov 2019, 10:29
Are they based on conditions directly above the airfield or within the airfield boundary or further.

came in the other day, cloud base reportedly S020 when it was actually O003!

thank you

pin

B737900er
21st Nov 2019, 11:21
Im sure a simple search on google would answer your question :ugh:

Little One
18th Dec 2019, 07:49
Annex 3

4.6.5 Clouds
4.6.5.1 Cloud amount, cloud type and height of cloud base shall be observed and reported as necessary to describe the clouds of operational significance. When the sky is obscured, vertical visibility shall be observed and reported, where measured, in lieu of cloud amount, cloud type and height of cloud base. The height of cloud base and vertical visibility shall be reported in metres (or feet).
4.6.5.2 Recommendation.— Cloud observations for local routine and special reports should be representative of the runway threshold(s) in use.
4.6.5.3 Recommendation.— Cloud observations for METAR and SPECI should be representative of the aerodrome and its vicinity.

Also a METAR is usually only given once hourly unless regional agreements require it half-hourly. The conditions to issue a Speci are usually "when there are 5 oktas or more of total cloud covering the celestial dome* below the highest alternate minimum or 1500 ft, whichever is higher" but not all units monitor for changes depending again on where the Met Office is (or if there even is one on the aerodrome.

chevvron
27th Dec 2019, 04:19
Are they based on conditions directly above the airfield or within the airfield boundary or further.

came in the other day, cloud base reportedly S020 when it was actually O003!

thank you

pin

If the CBR is a laser, it could be the laser looked though a 'hole' in the main cloud cover.

Thinks: why have I been autocorrected from 'a' to '@'?

India Four Two
3rd Jan 2020, 21:18
Thinks: why have I been autocorrected from 'a' to '@'?

Because otherwise, we would be inundated with ads for high-powered Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation devices! :)

PS I see that the autocorrection doesn't apply if the offending word is in a title.