PDA

View Full Version : How the hell do you get in this thing?

Rote 8
9th Aug 2002, 14:15
As an ATPL student my work colleagues foolishly look upon me as an oracle of aviation knowledge. Earlier today however someone asked me a simple question which I had no idea about. I realise that airliners are not normally left unoccupied but when an aircraft is left unattended do you lock it up with a key as you would a car or a Warrior for example? – I would assume that this is the case; otherwise there is an obvious security risk. Who would normally responsible for looking after the key (and what would happen if it were to get lost)?

Thanks for your help, forgive my ignorance!

Piper Warrior Pilot
9th Aug 2002, 14:41
There have been numerour posts on this topic before, one not so long ago.

Try a search on here using 'Do You Lock Airliners' or words to that effect and you will get a list of useful results.

The short answer is no. You will see padlocks on the doors of airliners at airshows but the only keys that you usually get with boeing/airbus etc are the ones for the cockpit (i think).

You cant really lock an airliner.

Anyway try the search. Hope this helps

Brenoch
10th Aug 2002, 00:43
What you do is that you seal it.. If the seal is broken when you get back to work you order the bomb squad and other security staff to screen the aircraft to make sure it havn't been tampered with..