PDA

View Full Version : LIGHTNING STRIKES

Metro36
9th Nov 2019, 15:54
If a lightening strike event occurs and “all appears normal” do you continue/return/divert?

fantom
9th Nov 2019, 16:23
You might if it was lightning.

Loodsje
9th Nov 2019, 17:05
737 ng needs inspection after lightning strike. So return to repair station is a viable option. Don't forget to check stand by compass during taxi in (2 x 90 degree turn), it saves Tech Dep a run for a compass check;)

IFixPlanes
9th Nov 2019, 18:19
It depends on the destination.

ivor toolbox
17th Nov 2019, 07:36
All aircraft will need some kind of post lightning strike inspection, and rectification of any faults found. The duration of the task could be short, or long depending on the nature, location and type of damage. However, what to with the aeroplane would be a matter for your company if you haven't had any failures for which the checklist says 'land or divert'

Ttfn

Airmann
17th Nov 2019, 08:09
Your questions actually leads to a much more encompassing issue and that is when does a PIC decide to stop his flight and land his airplane at other than it's intended destination.

The way I was taught you continue, unless you have
1) been requested by a higher authority e.g. the manufacturer (through procedures, recommendations etc.), your company, ATC to divert
2) Clear indications that you have or will have an issue that compromises the safety of the aircraft, it's passengers, cargo or crew to an extent that continuing is no longer a safe or reasonable course of action. This includes mechanical issues or health related issues of persons on board .

As for a lightening strike, do your manuals, either manufacturer or company, direct you to divert? Or do you have any indications from the instruments that the aircraft is less safe than it was before the strike and it is no longer safe to continue?

If you answer yes to either of the two above divert. If not continue. Ultimately, pilots can't divert because they're scared or just excessively worried. We need to base our decision on something concrete. And yes at the end of the day this is a difficult job and there are moments of fright/fear involved. If you don't like it get an office job.

Metro36
11th Feb 2020, 06:41
Thanks Airmann
Makes sense. All indications (instruments/radios/px/lighting) etc appeared normal. We continued. My reason for asking was a colleague returned immediately even though all “appeared” normal.

cashash
11th Feb 2020, 13:36
I have never had any aircraft return after a lightning strike if it didn't have any system failures. As mentioned previously all aircraft will need a Lightning strike inspection on landing and the only reason I can think of for returning to base would that your destination doesn't have the maintenance cover available to perform the inspection.