PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Reverting the Trending Forum Homepage

IBanna
7th Nov 2019, 18:26
Hi Everyone,
This thread will be about how to opt-out of the new Trending Forum feature.
Please follow the following steps:
Go to your usercp
Click on “Edit Options” under the “Settings & Options” bar
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/8qXTwr68WRMC0aHxFrzB7xNVWvzqo6Kw9dY3oxqOZYBWghuqywR5angU5VSs 3702HYHtAOb1smXh-CaQKsfttsDpQdw8fnhfHfd4BekM2VkO-8MkQpE9wSGdpH1J1YXJDKZVYRI
Scroll down to the bottom and find the box “Disable Trending Threads on Forum Homepage”.
Check “Hide”

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/CglnZ5Rh4jri8q3HrXm_5An6a-NUETY2kcO89mWLxv9tvDQgPaa5-KfaeSteEmlxUbVkrZ0yJ9_lKgSd73-xm7Pievw8s8D5zSvyvBVzVl0a2ufUI3lJIQjT3TktUTAcN6v-x30
Save changes
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/7pyh3fPH7d-f_er8yfNPP7zs8EZwBv83qS7DN1FHqtgTKLnSm0BEx9Tf2vP34xDqq3RUNYV 875uxx0ZGGYVFDrSTEtYpvVfWAAlQjPKjqecBs2lpvCdgXWomE5Z8qJGF4Bx TikM

NRU74
7th Nov 2019, 18:49
Hi Everyone,
This thread will be about any questions regarding the recent Trending Forums Homepage Update!
I’m pretty thick, but could you expand/explain what this means ?

IBanna
7th Nov 2019, 18:55
I’m pretty thick, but could you expand/explain what this means ?

An announcement will be out shortly!

Mustapha Cuppa
7th Nov 2019, 19:10
How do you opt out without logging in?

Kiltrash
7th Nov 2019, 19:29
Done. You cant teach a old dog new tricks I hate change

IBobi
7th Nov 2019, 19:36
How do you opt out without logging in?

if you are not logged in you will not have the option.

Mustapha Cuppa
7th Nov 2019, 20:50
So what is the benefit of this irritating "new feature"?

Dupre
7th Nov 2019, 21:09
Sorry if I'm being thick, but how do I get to usercp?

ta!

IBobi
7th Nov 2019, 21:30
Sorry if I'm being thick, but how do I get to usercp?

ta!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/845x672/ppr_usercp_1ac75af07b27f554b24ea033063e790fdb75510d.jpg

sablatnic
7th Nov 2019, 21:39
Thanks IBanna!

Liklik balus
7th Nov 2019, 22:23
IMHO a totally useless feature! What was the reason for its implementation? I believe there is no benefit to this so called 'feature'. Thank goodness you gave us an option to disable it which I took advantage of it immediately.

Lb.

jimjim1
7th Nov 2019, 23:52
Trending Homepage

The way this has been done seems really strange.

It may be a great new feature and I may well like it a lot, presenting it to all users so that they get a look at it may be a great idea.

Not providing a simple link to see the old Forums List at my whim seems daft. Just a button - "Forums List" - I may well have left the Trending page as my home page if this had been possible.

Once a user has gone through the rigmarole to get the forums list back there is no way that I can find to get access to the new Trending page - Perhaps a button - "Trending Topics".

It's a Marmite thing - One or the Other - never shall they mix.

Finally - the design of the Trending page seems to me to leave something to be desired - I think it is pretty ugly and the use of huge fonts seems to make it that there is not much on the page. I may have other comments on it but I can't see the Trending Page without going through the UserCP and setting the thing back - no thanks.

Hope you find my efforts useful.

IBobi
7th Nov 2019, 23:55
Trending Homepage

The way this has been done seems really strange.

It may be a great new feature and I may well like it a lot, presenting it to all users so that they get a look at it may be a great idea.

Not providing a simple link to see the old Forums List at my whim seems daft. Just a button - "Forums List" - I may well have left the Trending page as my home page if this had been possible.

Once a user has gone through the rigmarole to get the forums list back there is no way that I can find to get access to the new Trending page - Perhaps a button - "Trending Topics".

It's a Marmite thing - One or the Other - never shall they mix.

Finally - the design of the Trending page seems to me to leave something to be desired - I think it is pretty ugly and the use of huge fonts seems to make it that there is not much on the page. I may have other comments on it but I can't see the Trending Page without going through the UserCP and setting the thing back - no thanks.

Hope you find my efforts useful.

Thank you for the feedback!

FYI the forums list is part of the home page on desktop, and one click away (top right) on mobile!

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1266x922/ppr_forums_list_f0d7ba65baf8a19a3673cc2f150822851f898bbf.jpg

CISTRS
8th Nov 2019, 00:53
Initially panicked when presented with the new default interface.
Agree with jimjim1 (https://www.pprune.org/members/199821-jimjim1).
Reverted back to familiar listing.

andmiz
8th Nov 2019, 04:52
Yep, opt out! It should be a smaller pane with the classic listing below

jimjim1
8th Nov 2019, 04:57
Thank you for the feedback!

FYI the forums list is part of the home page on desktop, and one click away (top right) on mobile!

But this is the page I like to use and it's not available as far as I can determine. AND once I switch to it the Trending page is not available.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/963x744/pprune_main_5261de2d24a391b7ff64095da298b783d5e838fd.png

Capt Pit Bull
8th Nov 2019, 06:21
It’s a **** freature. Please revert the default UI back to how it used to be. I don’t care if a thread is trending in some other part of the world or part of the industry.

mikemmb
8th Nov 2019, 07:10
I will give it a go to see if it has any benefits, but agree with early comments about the lack of ability to easily switch between views.

But one point of detail when opting in/out of the trending function:

”Disable Trending Threads on Forum Homepage
Enable or Disable Trending Threads on Forum Homepage
Hide”

The use of the word “Hide” against the tick box is confusing when the defined option is “Enable or Disable Trending.....”
Surely “Enable” is the correct term?

Harley Quinn
8th Nov 2019, 08:49
To be fair, I thought initially you'd had a coding glitch because it doesn't follow the presentation scheme of the rest of the site, then I wondered whether it was a compatibility thing. Once I realised it was deliberate I wondered why on earth they would want to make it look so amateur and reminiscent of early 1990s bulletin boards.

Luckily I eventually noticed this sticky and am glad there is a way of disabling that eyesore, however I do wonder how long that will last. I imagine that most users here are not 'woke kids' they're, in the main, mature adults with an interest or stake in aviation. Personally I think this change is unnecessary and counterproductive. It would be interesting to see where the justification/research to support this degradation came from.

Just to be clear, I don't like it.

Jhieminga
8th Nov 2019, 09:15
The feature can be useful, as long as:

There is an easy and logical way to quickly switch between the old forum view and the trending topics view. Tabs at the top might work (eg. Forum list, trending topics, subscribed topics next to each other), with an option to select which tab to set as the default home page.
The new page is a clear extension of the existing site by virtue of using the same font, colours and page layout. This is my main reason for opting-out straight away. I find the trending topics page too amateurishly designed, too bright, and a complete mish-mash of styles and fonts that hurts my eyes when I look at it (metaphorically speaking). I really thought that there was a software glitch and the page had not loaded completely, it wasn't until the third refresh that I realised I was getting the same result every time (that says something about me as well I gues....).

Googlebug
8th Nov 2019, 10:48
It’s awful

Tech Guy
8th Nov 2019, 11:37
Thank you for supplying the escape option.

Hadley Rille
8th Nov 2019, 11:53
Awful and pointless. Was even difficult to find this thread.
Why not announce and show how to opt in instead ?

boguing
8th Nov 2019, 12:43
As it is, nope, I'll switch it off, but make it 1/3 the size and as a margin and I can see it being useful - as long as the selection of what's trending is sensible.

Mustapha Cuppa
8th Nov 2019, 14:59
Ironic to note that this thread which is generally unsupportive of the new "feature" doesn't of itself appear on the "trending" homepage.

IBobi
8th Nov 2019, 17:26
But this is the page I like to use and it's not available as far as I can determine. AND once I switch to it the Trending page is not available.

See post #1 in this thread -- you can opt-out of the new design in your usercp.

sherburn2LA
8th Nov 2019, 17:47
See post #1 in this thread -- you can opt-out of the new design in your usercp.

brought to you by the architects of 737 Max software

Blues&twos
8th Nov 2019, 18:19
I'm sure some will find the trending page useful. It's not my cup of tea.

The aesthetics of the page are, however, horrible. Like others, I suspected there was some issue with the PPRuNe site and a "skeleton" view had loaded. As an occasional programmer myself as part of my job (industrial control) I can't imagine anyone being happy with that final product.

fl610
9th Nov 2019, 04:47
Just to be clear, I don't like it.

If it ain’t broke..............

👎👎👎👎👎👎

cattletruck
9th Nov 2019, 09:54
Couldn't the new look be an opt-in option instead.
One of the main reasons I don't like it is because the algorithm that ranks the "top" posts doesn't fulfil my own needs.

Jump Complete
9th Nov 2019, 10:00
I too thought there was a glitch when I first saw it. It looks very amateur and old fashioned. Never a fan of ‘trending’ anyway as it means worthwhile posts (or videos in the case of YouT—-) get lost . Glad to have option to go back to original fornat!

fantom
9th Nov 2019, 12:35
Thank you very much. I'm out of it...

paulc
10th Nov 2019, 07:13
I too thought pprune had broken. Glad it was a just a few layout. Even more glad there was the option to revert. Its awful and looked very amateurish.

UltraFan
10th Nov 2019, 10:36
Thank you for the opt-out option.

AyrTC
10th Nov 2019, 11:24
It is terrible. Scrap it!

TheAirMission
10th Nov 2019, 11:25
Christ this new homepage is horrible.

spitfirek5054
10th Nov 2019, 17:56
Agree with you

Ollie Onion
11th Nov 2019, 08:07
It is just horrible, fill's my page with posts from forums that I have no interest in. I know I can disable it, and I have, but I still get directed there until I log in so it has just added a new layer for me to navigate.

flydive1
11th Nov 2019, 08:38
It's very bad.
You should get rid of it completely, even on the initial page before login in.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
11th Nov 2019, 11:02
I think it is a retrograde step, and disabled it immediately. Agree with above, would like not to see it at all.

happybiker
11th Nov 2019, 14:25
It appears as if the trending page format is change for changes sake. I have opted out of this option.

Mr Optimistic
11th Nov 2019, 17:23
So after 10 years or so I finally notice the User CP link. Still on top of my game.

coxswain
11th Nov 2019, 23:37
I made an account just to tell you that this 'feature' is rubbish.

I'm glad that I now have the ability to disable it.

FlyboyUK
12th Nov 2019, 06:53
It’s awful. Have disabled it.

bugged on the right
12th Nov 2019, 10:15
I have disabled this horror. I don't want to stay permanently logged in and it reverts to the horror when I log out. . If you want to have a kiddies page make the horror selectable. . I will now leave entirely for a couple of weeks and see if this alleged feature has trended into obscurity.

RUMBEAR
13th Nov 2019, 05:12
Thankfully I found this thread ! Disabled this useless new feature. I agree with everyone else remove this feature immediately. Looks like PPrune went back in time 15 years.

hei yu
13th Nov 2019, 05:48
Couldn't the new look be an opt-in option instead.
One of the main reasons I don't like it is because the algorithm that ranks the "top" posts doesn't fulfil my own needs.

Agree with cattletruck.

Using the KISS philosophy, make the old homepage the default with the "new format" homepage as an option !

El Grifo
13th Nov 2019, 08:14
Agreed ! Cheap and nasty looking!
Due to my restricted status on Pprune, it has virtualy eliminated my viewing of R+N. The page that got me hooked on Pprune all those years ago !!
El Grifo

t7a
13th Nov 2019, 10:04
Despite having 'opted out' I still get the new homepage if I don't log in. Why?

fantom
13th Nov 2019, 10:05
You have to log in to get the old page.

Mr Optimistic
13th Nov 2019, 13:11
I wondered that but unless you log in it doesn't know who you are or what are your preferences. Still on top of my game!

foxmoth
14th Nov 2019, 07:08
Agree with those that don’t like it, a trending threads page is fine but it should be a selection at the top where the , User CP, FAQ etc. Is

MacLaren1
14th Nov 2019, 07:28
Agree with those that don’t like it, a trending threads page is fine but it should be a selection at the top where the , User CP, FAQ etc. Is

Agreed here too, as an ex BA man, and private pilot.

This will alienate many. It's now a website teaming with fascinating information (much of it huge interest and some potentially life-saving) - which says "but we're not going to give you that without a fight..."

Come on, PPRUNE, you have built the world's foremost aviation site, so why ruin it now?

WB627
15th Nov 2019, 15:33
Pain in the ar*se having to log in every time I look at pprune just to get rid of it. Or was that its purpose, making us log in every time we look at pprune?

Opt in would be a much better option than opt out, please.

MightyGem
15th Nov 2019, 20:13
Hi Everyone,
This thread will be about how to opt-out of the new Trending Forum feature.
Please follow the following steps:
Excellent! Thank you.

subsonicsubic
21st Nov 2019, 03:11
This may be my last time here. This is terrible now. Nothing positive to say,

TheEdge
21st Nov 2019, 06:14
Horrible, cheap and useless feature

FlightDetent
21st Nov 2019, 07:04
Dreadful, and I did try. Pulling the handle now.

IBanna
21st Nov 2019, 15:08
Thank you for your feedback, we are relaying all feedback to the team and thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.

Rwy in Sight
21st Nov 2019, 20:30
How can I go to the last post on each thread directly rather via opening the thread and clicking in the "first unread" button?

IBobi
21st Nov 2019, 21:16
How can I go to the last post on each thread directly rather via opening the thread and clicking in the "first unread" button?

If you are in desktop skin, click LAST POST.

You cannot currently go to last post on mobile; you must click into the thread and then go to the last page.

IBanna
22nd Nov 2019, 15:24
The last post function is currently under fix by the tech team, at the moment on desktop you can only go to the post via opening the thread and clicking the "first unread" button.

Rwy in Sight
22nd Nov 2019, 21:57
Thanks to both of you. By the way it is a bit unusual the new lay-out but it is okish

Asturias56
23rd Nov 2019, 08:00
The new layout looks a lot better on my phone but it really needs some work for the desk-top version - a change of font might help it look a bit better - it 's very much "in your face" on a big screen

VH DSJ
23rd Nov 2019, 11:54
if you want feedback, then it's a thumbs down from me.

barry lloyd
25th Nov 2019, 12:45
fwiw, I will add my name to the long list of people who dislike this feature and I've taken the CP option. I think all the bases have been covered by others, with whom I concur, so nothing else to add.

fantom
9th Dec 2019, 18:12
I cannot believe this dreadful opening page is stiill alive.

Are you deaf ?

IBobi
9th Dec 2019, 18:56
I cannot believe this dreadful opening page is stiill alive.

Are you deaf ?
Are you unable to go to your profile and disable it?

FlightDetent
10th Dec 2019, 03:37
Probably just frustrated.

I envisage it is a deliberate step, step zero of many, that will lead to shutdown of PPRuNe servers and migration under FlyerTalk. Cost control, I get it - you are a business. (*)

Chapter 1: actively degrade the user experience, in order to create "it's an improvement to shut this and move you elsewhere" environment.

That's how bad it is, the impression it has left. Maybe I did not mention, turning the AdBlock back on..

(*) In which case, BTW, the tone of the reply is not appropriate.

flydive1
10th Dec 2019, 08:20

Not everybody wants to be logged in all the time.

I used to check out the forum several times a day, just looking through the initial page to see if anything new was on and log-in if I wanted to reply to a post.

Now I just check twice a day as is a pain.

flydive1
19th Dec 2019, 16:28
Well, the orrible initial page is still there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2f-MZ2HRHQ

Lake1952
29th Dec 2019, 11:25
On a positive note, once you log in and change back to "pprune classic" on one device, it will change back on every other device as soon as you log in.

sorvad
12th Jan 2020, 20:47
please just revert back to the original interface.... just what response by
almost every user of this site don't you understand?

Asturias56
13th Jan 2020, 07:12
I'd guess it's a Corporate decision that is being rolled out on all the BB's they run - no doubt a new whiz-kid in IT.

The Mods regularly indicate they have little control over the tools they are given

IBobi
13th Jan 2020, 19:26
You can turn it off in your user control panel under edit options.

Asturias56
14th Jan 2020, 07:45
IBobi - a serious and respectful question

Do any of the users like the new interface?

IBobi
14th Jan 2020, 18:54
Based on data, lots of members are using it to find trending threads, yes.

Asturias56
15th Jan 2020, 07:28
Thank you for the response

Mustapha Cuppa
22nd Jan 2020, 20:19
Based on data, lots of members are using it to find trending threads, yes.
People using the trend page are not necessarily happy with it. They will have their own reasons for not logging into the site and therefore would have no other alternative than to go via the trending page.

Truly dreadful and idiotic.

passportstamp
7th May 2020, 11:27
Aha... so THIS is why I can't see any forum descriptions as a new user! As a new user, my account defaulted to the trending topics homepage. I kept trying to access the private forums, but since there's no way for me to see the forum description saying 'please submit your staff #' etc., I just got a totally generic 'access denied' error message.

Of course when I posted about this, here, in the 'problems or queries' board, lovely veteran members gave me a warm welcome by just assuming I couldn't read... :) A review of what onboarding looks like for new users wouldn't do any harm.