PDA

View Full Version : Amsterdam Schiphol - security 'event' on airplane

DIBO
6th Nov 2019, 18:09
Probably on an Air Europa plane, the Royal Marechaussee (military state police) intervening: https://twitter.com/Marechaussee/status/1192147490851688449

https://twitter.com/Schiphol/status/1192152479250735105

MPN11
6th Nov 2019, 18:22
All over CNN at the moment, helped by Richard Quest!

At least it’s on the ground.

DaveReidUK
6th Nov 2019, 18:26
Part of Pier D reportedly evacuated.

sekmeth
6th Nov 2019, 18:27
1 dutch media firm stating that there is a hostage situation going on in a Air Europe plane heading to Madrid. Cabin crew and a hand full of pax held hostage. Hostage taker(s) demanding takeoff, destination unknown

fox niner
6th Nov 2019, 18:30
There is an F16 overhead, this airplane is not going anywhere.

DaveReidUK
6th Nov 2019, 18:32
Flight involved is UX1094 AMS-MAD.

fox niner
6th Nov 2019, 18:39
Situation has ENDED. Arrests made. Expect a slow return to normal. Phew!!!

Super VC-10
6th Nov 2019, 18:40
https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/630470277/verdachte-situatie-in-vliegtuig-schiphol

MathFox
6th Nov 2019, 18:58
Latest report: Air Europe says an alarm for kidnapping was accidentally triggered. https://www.nu.nl/binnenland/6009434/per-ongeluk-waarschuwingsknop-ingedrukt-in-vliegtuig-schiphol-situatie-was-vals-alarm.html

Evey_Hammond
6th Nov 2019, 18:58
Alternatively, skip the false reporting above & read Air Europa statement (it was a false alarm)

212man
6th Nov 2019, 19:13
Wrong TXPDR code? Reports talk about “pressing the hijack button”.

Grav
6th Nov 2019, 19:35
Transponder on (or ground position) during boarding? Is it common procedure? Typing 7500 by mistake? Looking forward to read the occurrency report about this event. I'm not a conspiracy theory fan, not at all, but i have to say that i'm quite puzzled, at least for the moment.

India Four Two
6th Nov 2019, 19:36
There is an F16 overhead, this airplane is not going anywhere.

Seriously? Chocks would be less lethal and much cheaper!

lomapaseo
6th Nov 2019, 19:51
Seriously? Chocks would be less lethal and much cheaper!

I bet the F16 will run out of petrol before the other plane takes off.

fox niner
6th Nov 2019, 20:00
Sources revealed that the cockpit crew, the captain, wanted to show the specific squawk codes for emergency situations to some junior intern. So they entered 7500 and this was the response. Bad idea. The F16 remark I made earlier was meant to indicate that the police/defense system in place did not take any half measures. All units were put on alert. By the way I live near the air base (southern NL) that scrambles these fighters and I can confirm that all fighters have returned to base at 2000Z.

212man
6th Nov 2019, 20:17
Sources revealed that the cockpit crew, the captain, wanted to show the specific squawk codes for emergency situations to some junior intern. So they entered 7500 and this was the response. Bad idea.The F16 remark I made earlier was meant to indicate that the police/defense system in place did not take any half measures. All units were put on alert. By the way I live near the air base (southern NL) that scrambles these fighters and I can confirm that all fighters have returned to base at 2000Z.
yeah, note to self - in future describe the three emergency codes verbally and don’t make any selections!

Jumbo744
6th Nov 2019, 22:45
Situation has ENDED. Arrests made. Expect a slow return to normal. Phew!!!

Arrests made? You love those fake news don't you

Flight Alloy
7th Nov 2019, 04:23
yeah, note to self - in future describe the three emergency codes verbally and don’t make any selections!
I guess he was betting on the transponder still being in standby?

fox niner
7th Nov 2019, 09:00
Actual apology by the flight crew involved:

https://twitter.com/asantosb

NoodleDriver
7th Nov 2019, 10:46
I was at schipol last night when this went down.
I think something very fishy is going on ..
Huge police presence all day way above normal at Schipol and at nearby Utrecht station. far exceeding normal - uniformed and non uniformed officers
I went to the toilet streetside about an hour before this went down military police were searching toilet stalls and forcing closed doors to be opened immediately
There was a clear and urgent search for someone.
Next thing we heard as I went airside was this lockdown on D concourse...
Now conveniently nothing to see here …..
hmmmmm

2Planks
7th Nov 2019, 11:12
Flight Alloy, there are mechanisms to alert ground agencies on some operators aircraft of an on board situation. Clearly any hijacker of note would know about 7500. To describe them would be stupid on an open forum. Might be an idea not to be so patronising......

DND delivery
7th Nov 2019, 18:21
https://youtu.be/UNW8ZylB_rk

:E (https://youtu.be/UNW8ZylB_rk)

UltraFan
9th Nov 2019, 17:24
What was the F-16 doing in all that? "Scrambling fighters" looks good on the news but seriously, what would it do if it was real? Shoot down a passenger jet over a European capital? I believe the incessant scaremongering goes WAY too far in Europe.

DaveReidUK
9th Nov 2019, 17:57
What was the F-16 doing in all that? "Scrambling fighters" looks good on the news but seriously, what would it do if it was real?

While the possible hijack scenario was still live, that was exactly the right thing to do.

Shoot down a passenger jet over a European capital?

Under some circumstances, that could be the least worst option.

UltraFan
9th Nov 2019, 18:08
While the possible hijack scenario was still live, that was exactly the right thing to do.

Under some circumstances, that could be the least worst option.

Such as? What possible "circumstance" could warrant killing hundreds of people over stupid hysteria? History shows that hijackers just want to go from A to B and always let the hostages go. Exceptions are so rare and far between that I can't even think of one. (Yeah, yeah, yeah, 9-11, one instance in 112 years of aviation.)

DaveReidUK
10th Nov 2019, 00:34
Such as? What possible "circumstance" could warrant killing hundreds of people over stupid hysteria? History shows that hijackers just want to go from A to B and always let the hostages go. Exceptions are so rare and far between that I can't even think of one. (Yeah, yeah, yeah, 9-11, one instance in 112 years of aviation.)

I think you have just answered your own question.

hans brinker
10th Nov 2019, 02:03
Shooting down the 2 that went into the towers would have saved 2500 people directly.

Winterapfel
10th Nov 2019, 06:11
What was the F-16 doing in all that? "Scrambling fighters" looks good on the news but seriously, what would it do if it was real? Shoot down a passenger jet over a European capital? I believe the incessant scaremongering goes WAY too far in Europe.

Coincidence that the F-16 was in the air (according to a fact checking podcast from Nu). In Oct-Dec, the low light conditions in the early evening are used to practice/refresh low light flying, use of night vision goggles....

Bergerie1
10th Nov 2019, 07:26
UltraFan,

If Air France 8969 had not been stopped in Marseille the hijackers were going to crash it into the centre of Paris.

Rather like 9/11 don't you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7a5D3sMJKM

Landflap
10th Nov 2019, 08:44
Introduced some humour in my post, following a trend, but the post was taken down even though mine was the funniest. I will leave out the humor & say, simply, again, whatever the trigger , the response was quick & firm. Well done AMS making Schipol look damn safe to me. 9-11 lessons are being learned.

UltraFan
10th Nov 2019, 11:02
Shooting down the 2 that went into the towers would have saved 2500 people directly.
Would it? How about the people onboard? How about the people on the ground it would fall on? How about the resulting fire on the ground? How many would that kill?

UltraFan
10th Nov 2019, 11:09
UltraFan,

If Air France 8969 had not been stopped in Marseille the hijackers were going to crash it into the centre of Paris.

Rather like 9/11 don't you think?

No, I don't think so. You say like it's a fact. The "Paris bombing plot" was just a figment of French military imagination and US-UK journalists' love for mass hysteria.

UltraFan
10th Nov 2019, 11:11
the response was quick & firm.

Yes, that's the words they need for the next election. Keep saying that.

UltraFan
10th Nov 2019, 11:24
I think you have just answered your own question.

The problem with your way of thinking is that trigger happy fighters lead by scared and war-crazed commanders WILL lead to tragedy. And it's not just an assumption. Just remember the A300 Americans shot down in the Persian Gulf. Just like in Amsterdam, nobody cared to think for one second. Just "send the fighters" and "start a war". Gosh, I hate to admit it but Macron is right - NATO is brain-dead.

Herod
10th Nov 2019, 11:59
UltraFan. Gosh, I hate to admit it but Macron is right - NATO is brain-dead.

What the h*ll has this thread got to do with NATO?

hans brinker
10th Nov 2019, 14:16
Would it? How about the people onboard? How about the people on the ground it would fall on? How about the resulting fire on the ground? How many would that kill?

They were dead either way.
​​​​​Probably less than 2500 using UAL93 as a reference.
Never said that shooting down every hijacked airplane should be the first solution, but in the case of 9/11 over 90% of the casualties were on the ground.

Winterapfel
10th Nov 2019, 15:46
Tried to reply this morning, so far not published yet. The F-16 taking to the sky was a coincidence, not related to the possible hijack.
F-16 was starting low light exercise, use of night vision goggles.

2Planks
10th Nov 2019, 15:46
Shooting down a civilian airliner will never be a NATO task. It is a national responsibility. In some countries the use of lethal force is a political decision, in others it has been delegated to the military commanders.

UltraFan
10th Nov 2019, 16:48
Tried to reply this morning, so far not published yet. The F-16 taking to the sky was a coincidence, not related to the possible hijack.
F-16 was starting low light exercise, use of night vision goggles.

It was posted. I saw it above. Thanks for the information. I sure hope the Netherlands is a smart country.

atakacs
10th Nov 2019, 20:16
I muss say that I'm having a hard time believing this one. Am I correct that the plane was still at the gate and not boarded?

212man
10th Nov 2019, 21:51
I muss say that I'm having a hard time believing this one. Am I correct that the plane was still at the gate and not boarded?
Well, post 19 is the PA announcement by the Captain to the pax, so I guess it had boarded!

Winterapfel
11th Nov 2019, 15:34
Well, post 19 is the PA announcement by the Captain to the pax, so I guess it had boarded!
Boarding had started, 23 souls on board. Unclear why the transponder was already active at this point.

atakacs
11th Nov 2019, 17:21
Boarding had started, 23 souls on board. Unclear why the transponder was already active at this point.
Thanks for the clarification.

Still the aircraft was on the ground, at the gate. Sending someone to check what's going on ok. Hundreds of military police and F-16 seems a tad excessive (assuming what went down is what we are being told).