PDA

View Full Version : expired CASA CPL convert to FAA ATP

Dude_NG
30th Oct 2019, 04:22
Hi guys,

I plan to attend an US flight school for ATP-CTP course and subsequently acquire A320 type rating.
I hold Australian CPL, MECIR and class 1 medical. I've been flying overseas since 2013 and haven't renewed them for five years and they're out of currency now.
Will this be an issue for the FAA foreign license verification process?
Do I need my CASA CPL MECIR to be current before the CASA to FAA ATP conversion?

Thank you.

Ia8825
30th Oct 2019, 11:13
I have been looking at doing similar. From what I can gather, anything other than a PPL is not a conversion as such, given you are still required to complete the FAA flight test for the licence. As such I suspect the currency of your Australian licence will be irrelevant, all you have to be able to do is demonstrate you meet the FAA hour requirements for the licences you are seeking. You will also need an FAA medical prior to the flight test.

However the catch is that you have to do some training for the licences, and this must be at once of the flight schools that can issue visas for international pilot training. The schools that can do this are quite limited from what I can see. At the ATP level it doesn’t seem as bad.

deja vu
30th Oct 2019, 12:55
I understood that a licence never expires, only the currency and medical expire. Is this correct?

havick
30th Oct 2019, 22:51
Depending on which examiner you get, they may ‘interpret’ the regs such that your IPC must be current. Others have been through with everything expired and with a current FAA medical, others not so lucky.

lucille
31st Oct 2019, 06:09
The FAA should issue you with validated CPL based on your CASA CPL. Your type rating check ride is identical to an ATP check ride, the FAA designated check airman will be able to fill In both sets of forms and they will issue you with an ATPL.

Step 1 is get the Class One medical done, then apply for FAA CPL. Your A320 training organization will be able to handle the rest from there.

rudestuff
31st Oct 2019, 10:18
Umm... If you've been flying overseas presumably on a third country licence - why aren't you just converting that one?