PDA

View Full Version : Non-ILS approaches w/o published glidepath on Legs page (Boeing) or E/D past runway?

RandomPerson8008
18th Oct 2019, 22:48
Hello,

I am writing to ask if anyone knows of any non-ils approaches in a Boeing FMC database that do not show a glidepath angle on the legs page? Also, does anyone know of an approach that shows an E/D beyond the runway threshold? Specifically, for the 747-400 & -8. Thank you.

The reason being the current non-ILS checklist states:

"GP angle displayed on the legs page or End of Derscent waypoint at or before the approach end of the runway."
Use VNAV
GP angle is not displayed on and end of descent waypoint is bdyond approach end of the runway
Use V/S and DDA"

So, basically I'm wondering if there is any approach out there that would force the use of V/S. Thank you.

ScepticalOptomist
19th Oct 2019, 09:16
The only approaches that I can think of are at Faleolo Intl in W Samoa - NSFA. The VOR-A and NDB-A procedures don’t have a GP angle and the missed approach point is past the threshold.

atakacs
19th Oct 2019, 09:36
I would be curious if there are that many non ILS places where you would put down a 747... ?

VinRouge
19th Oct 2019, 12:42
I would be curious if there are that many non ILS places where you would put down a 747... ?
Caribbean. Plus a few places in Canada that traditionally had Back Course ILS which are now replaced with RNAV.

Plenty of others though.

RandomPerson8008
21st Oct 2019, 09:11

Non-ILS approaches are not unheard of, usually necessary due to ILS maintenance, runway construction, or unusual wind forcing the use of non-standard runways. HNL and ANC for instance use RNAV approaches a few times a year, it seems. My company's last fatal crash was due in part to a non-ILS approach being attempted at an airport where the primary runway with an ILS was closed due to maintenance. CVG was doing them quite often year before last due to ILS maintenance on rwy 27.

Thank you for the responses, but it seems whoever designed our FMC NAV database purposely excluded any cirlcing approach or approach that would use time to identify fixes. I will try the NSFA approaches at the next opportunity but I doubt they have been included in the database. Thanks again.

ScepticalOptomist
21st Oct 2019, 09:22
It’s been a while since I flew the 744, but I’m pretty sure we didn’t have any of those approaches coded in the FMC.. We would have to “build” the approach and then fly it using LNAV and VS.

hoduka
21st Oct 2019, 18:27
Hi
Also you can create an RX point at agiven distance with a given path angle, then LNAV/VNAV.