PDA

View Full Version : DY7077 suffering Norwegian curse

jthg
12th Oct 2019, 17:59
FCO-OAK turned back past Iceland, now cruising FL240 returning to Ireland? Track/altitude doesn't suggest Iceland

More magic engines?

Airbubba
12th Oct 2019, 18:07
I think you mean DY7077, looks to me like they are diverting to KEF.

jthg
12th Oct 2019, 18:30
I think you mean DY7077, looks to me like they are diverting to KEF.

Indeed they did and thanks, corrected

Fonsini
12th Oct 2019, 18:35
Looks like the “incident” happened at exactly the right moment for a KEF diversion.

A and C
12th Oct 2019, 18:37
Why assume it’s an engine problem ? It could be a sick passenger and the low FL is to get a direct route below the North Atlantic track system.

jthg
12th Oct 2019, 18:45
Why assume it’s an engine problem ? It could be a sick passenger and the low FL is to get a direct route below the North Atlantic track system.

No reason at all - aside from DY having a knack of exploding engines on FCO originated flights of late. It could be any number of things but speculation is more fun

Fonsini
12th Oct 2019, 18:47
I thought all the original Trent 1000s had been replaced by now on Norwegian, or am I mistaken ??

jthg
12th Oct 2019, 19:00
I thought all the original Trent 1000s had been replaced by now on Norwegian, or am I mistaken ??

Wasn't the one that disassembled itself after takeoff from FCO a repaired one?

Fonsini
12th Oct 2019, 19:50

From memory the Norwegian 788s were supposed to get repaired engines, so I would say yes it was, and the 789s were supposed to get new Trent 1000 TENs. No reason to assume it was engine related at this time.

I am reminded of the rumour that Boeing wanted to single source on the GenX but were pressured into offering options. At least the 787 facilitates an easy switch between different engines.

On the top of the MAX nightmare and the “pickle fork” problems, another 787 problem is the last thing that Boeing wants right now. Let’s hope it was a non-urgent/non-engine related incident, they could use a break.

tdracer
12th Oct 2019, 20:23

Actually, I'm reasonably sure that it wasn't an updated engine. There was a link in one of the other Trent threads that explained, but a quick search didn't find it.

FightFireWithFire
12th Oct 2019, 20:35
Diverted to Reykjavik due to medical emergency