PDA

View Full Version : A320 flap/slat locked issue

Shatwa07
3rd Oct 2019, 12:56
Hi colleagues..
did the pilots in some cases responsible for the flap/slat lock activation ?

vilas
3rd Oct 2019, 13:57
Can you explain what exactly you mean?

Shatwa07
3rd Oct 2019, 14:05
using Flap lever roughly , as example !

Meikleour
3rd Oct 2019, 16:50
I think you are talking about the WTB (Wing Tip Brakes) that could be triggered by resetting the aircraft clock! Something to do with routine calender system checks. ie. running the clock through the time?

sonicbum
3rd Oct 2019, 17:27
Does that still appear anywhere in maintenance manuals ? We had that on SOPs but over 10 (?) years ago as far as I can remember and it was subsequently modified.

vilas
3rd Oct 2019, 17:27
No. The flap lever is actually an electrical switch. It's made of solid mettle only moves linear. There's nothing rough and smooth about it.

tonnambh
7th Oct 2019, 16:26
Just in the topic of slats flaps , can someone please tell me whats the difference between slats/flaps locked and slats/laps fault ?
cheers,

gearlever
7th Oct 2019, 19:44
Long ago but I'll give it a try.

"Locked" = slats/flaps are stucked.
Slat/Flap system 1/2 failure... the other system, hopefully, works...

Shatwa07
7th Oct 2019, 20:37
Slat/flap locked rest from MCDU clear the fault.
flap/slat fault problem is extended to more than SFCC

Capt Scribble
7th Oct 2019, 20:52
Not locked permanently, but if F 0 is selected and the speed is below 165 or AOA over 8 the alpha/speed lock function activates. FCOM 27 30 10 refers.

Shatwa07
7th Oct 2019, 21:30
Thanks sir for your feedback , that’s what I meant when I mentioned cap responsibility , ok
once alpha locked activated is and stall recovered
can the pilot restore the flap to pos 0 again?

tonnambh
8th Oct 2019, 00:57
Cheers guys,
ecam says slats/flaps fail/locked while the qrh says flaps/slats jammed.
why the wording is different ? Isnt locked and jammed meaning the same thing ?

vilas
8th Oct 2019, 02:01
Slat or flap fault is SFCC problem and ECAM will ask you to recycle to clear it. Flaps locked is wing tip brake activation and ECAM will not ask you to recycle as it is not curable in flight.

Capt Scribble
8th Oct 2019, 07:24
When less than 7.1 AOA or over 171 kts the slats will retract if the alpha lock has been activated.

vilas
8th Oct 2019, 13:17
Alpha lock is not an abnormality. It is a temporary activation of a safety device. Off course it can be restored at correct AoA or speed. But flaps or slats locked or fault is an abnormality. Flaps or slats locked is permanent. Slats or Flaps fault is also an abnormality of SFCC malfunction. It may recover if recycled.

Citation2
8th Oct 2019, 21:01
slats/ Flaps Locked is a mechanical problem.
Slats/Flaps Fault is a computer problem.

Max Angle
9th Oct 2019, 19:26
Not quite what the OP was asking but a crew in our company ended up landing in CONF1 after the small metal pin that holds the flap lever together (it connects the lift up locking part of the handle to mechanism) broke and left them unable to select any further flap.

tcasblue
4th Apr 2020, 01:45
Actually, there is a difference. The Jammed procedure in the QRH is for several scenarios including Slats Fail, Flaps Fail, Slats Locked, Flaps Locked, HYD G+Y SYS LO PR, HYD G+B SYS LO PR. A bunch of different faults(fail, locked, hydraulic loss) that result in the situation where the devices are considered to be jammed(immovable).

vilas
4th Apr 2020, 07:08
The ECAM makes a distinction between locked (hydraulic brake) and fault(computer problem) because the actions are different. There is no jam or fail. But once the condition is permanent then there is no more use of this distinction and you need to refer QRH procedure to execute approach and landing. It is referred as LANDING WITH SLAT/FLAP JAM Procedure. Reason notwithstanding it referred as jam.