PDA

View Full Version : Claiming hours towards NPPL

CJ93
29th Sep 2019, 21:31
Hi all,

I am looking to begin my flying training journey!

I have hours gained at a Volunteer Gliding Squadron in the G109 a powered motor glider, along with Tutor hours from my recent time as a member of the University Air Squadron. I understand that due to EASA legislation changes I cannot claim these hours towards a PPL, but can I claim them towards and NPPL?

If so, could I claim them towards an NPPL, complete that then covert to a full PPL? Thus (in theory) saving money and time?

It would just be a shame for these hours to “go to waste” if they can be of a real benefit to me.

If they cannot be claimed PRIOR to training, can they be accredited to my license after completion?

kind regards,

Chris

patowalker
2nd Oct 2019, 18:35
See page 5 here http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence.co.uk/NPPL%20XC%20REV%2011.pdf
Credit for UAS hours is mentioned.

S-Works
2nd Oct 2019, 19:01
There is no route from an NPPL ATO a full PPL anymore. You will still need to meet all of the PPL requirements.

malcfcook
10th Oct 2019, 09:33
Hi all,

I went down the route to NPPL(A) early 2018 following these allowances and it worked. I was a 20 year lapsed Army rotary pilot with nearly 3000 hours of which about 60 were fixed wing. CAA said (in a written email) I must follow a period of refresher training decided by the CFI of the RAF Cosford (civilian) Flying Club. No hours specified the CFI must be happy that I have made sufficient progress for an NPPL(A) GFT. I was exempt the NPPL (A) NFT. I had to pass all ground exams too. Including the test this path was a little under 16 hours dual/solo flying. I then did a paperwork conversion to LAPL (A) just in time for the National to EASA conversion deadline that subsequently moved.

Strangely I have since then looked to see if there is a similar low cost pathway to an NPPL(H) can't find one? Only conversion of my fixed wing licences to Helicopter but none of these give credit for the several thousand hours as aircraft commander with master green IR on Gazelle, Scout, Lynx. The do give a very small credit for holding the fixed wing licences only

best regards

Malcolm (Ex WO1 AAC)

BEagle
10th Oct 2019, 21:25
The NPPL(H) is nothing to do with the normal NPPL system. It is only available to pilots who already have a Part-FCL helicopter licence and was invented by the CAA (not by the NPPL Policy and Steering Committee) as a means of enabling non-EASA light helicopter types to be flown by LAPL(H) holders. Purely because a non-EASA Type Rating cannot be included in a Part-FCL licence.