View Full Version : Possibility: FI + CFI ?

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Sep 2019, 12:57
It's just possible that it might suit me in 2020, either full or part time, to go for a full instructors course (at the moment I'm a reasonably experienced EASA CRI, although my aviation job is not usually a flying one).

It occurred to me however - I've both EASA and FAA CPLs, and whilst clearly the courses aren't identical and the assessments are definitely not identical: there's a lot of common ground in the two syllabi. There's value in both qualifications, particularly for the sort of things I tend to do with my flying.

Is there anywhere it might reasonably be possible to do a combined EASA and FAA instructors course, then the two assessments at the end? It would interest me to explore that, if there was.


23rd Sep 2019, 14:39
Maybe On Track at Wellesbourne Mountford?
I know that their Jon Cooke has EASA and FAA instructor/examiner qualifications; they also conduct EASA FICs. Not sure about FAA CFI training but I would definitely give them a call.

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Sep 2019, 14:53
Good idea, I know Jon and will have a word with him.


23rd Sep 2019, 19:05
The FAA system is training as required to pass the test as opposed to the structured course we have in Europe.

VFR-Seek and Destroy
24th Sep 2019, 08:08
Unfortunately I don’t think you’ll be able to complete both at the same time in the UK.

Like the FAA commercial, you’ll have to do a written test ( actually 2 unless your exempt the FOI ) which can no longer be done in the UK. No endorsement needed from CFI beforehand to enable you to sit the tests.

The other problem is getting an examiner for the FAA test in the UK. Until recently, for an initial FAA instructor certificate the “local FSDO” had to allocate a DPE although that rule has recently been relaxed but the availability of a DPE in Europe / UK has been covered many times previously on pPrune.

A suitable qualified FAA CFI based in the UK should be able to give the required training / endorsements / iacra that are needed ( refer to part 61 for the required ground / flight training that is needed ) and fortunately you won’t need to undergo TSA screening prior to beginning training.
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=40760189a03dfea0b501608f33820a45&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14: (https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=40760189a03dfea0b501608f33820a45&rgn=div5&vie w=text&node=14:

There used to be ( and there may still be ) EASA approved flight schools in the US that did EASA FI training and if you wish to do both in the same place / at the same time, then the US may be a better / only option.

My own personal recommendation to you, would be to do them separately, the EASA FI in the UK at on-track aviation and the FAA CFI in the US at the school where you did your FAA commercial.

The FAA are still using the PTS for the CFI and along with the endorsing CFI will both give you an idea on what to expect in the practical test.


Genghis the Engineer
24th Sep 2019, 10:43
Thanks for that VFR.

As it happens I do still have visas in place for the US school where I did my CPL/IR and their resident DPE can do CFI - the issue for me is the travel time and costs; like you say, possibly doing the EASA FI first here, and just working with the school to ensure that I have the relevant skills would cover it, then a pre-arranged trip out to the USA for a brushup and endorsment. The difference in currencies is not what it was nowadays however, so there's no particular savings in going to the USA any more - and clearly it's time consuming.

I should be exempt from FOI as I'm a qualified university lecturer, but I've also got 80% in practice tests so am not overly worried either way. I know I can pass written exams - that bit is just a case of being somewhere that I can: clearly if I need to go to the USA to do that, I do.