PDA

View Full Version : PPL trainee in British Columbia

Tendon Pilot
21st Sep 2019, 17:10
Hey guys.

So I just joined a flight school in Langley, BC.
Just a question and need help.

I'm full time international student here and we have ground school every Tuesday and Thursday night.
The class started from the first week of September but we haven't got assigned any instructor (even though they said they will by the second week) and our school account yet.
About to hit the 4th week of ground school and we still haven't flown yet,

I know BC area gets bad weather and hence, "Raincouver" but is this normal?

What do you guys think?

Dave Sharpe
21st Sep 2019, 19:41
From my uk experience of flying Helis and with friends who are plank fliers that's a mighty strange way of doing training -in the uk you can go flying with an instructor without any ground school and do the ground school as you get close to going solo-in the Uk there are some shocking instructors who see the student as a cow to milk money from -but we have some fabulous characters who teach people to fly and do a superb job at it and will help the weaker student to achieve their personal aims -

Tendon Pilot
21st Sep 2019, 19:44
Thanks Dave for your opinion,

Even my friend is flying and doing his ground training (he lives in California so the weather is not an issue).
Just guessing my flight school is just trying to get the money away from us. Good thing I did not pay upfront.

Ilyushin76
5th Oct 2019, 04:39
Thanks Dave for your opinion,

Even my friend is flying and doing his ground training (he lives in California so the weather is not an issue).
Just guessing my flight school is just trying to get the money away from us. Good thing I did not pay upfront.

Which flight school is this? I might drop by in BC to get my license converted next year - could use the heads up !

I did talk to CFC and the tuition costs they put forth were through the roof (did not include flying).

Aristhrottle
6th Oct 2019, 02:17
It’s a business not a school make no mistake about it. You’re the paying customer. Adopt the mindset that you’re paying them, therefore you have the power. I witnessed firsthand how flight schools in BC take advantage particularly of foreign students who rely on that visa to be here.

As far as CFC- it’s run by absolute crooks. Threatened to pull several students I knew visas if new payments weren’t paid in full by arbitrary due date , added expenses as training went along, omitted sim price in initial quote even though it’s in the curriculum. Warm welcome and then anything to get every last penny from you. PM if you want help in dealing with them.