PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Private Flying Forum

extralite
21st Sep 2019, 15:43
Hi. No disrespect to PPrune but the Canadian part of the forum is not that active for private or rec flying in Canada. I am here for a year (Collingwood, ONT) and looking how to get involved with the private flying here. Maybe some private hire if its going. ATPL plus instrument rating but happy just to do any type of flying. Google didnt really come up with an alternative. Are there any pilots around this area who have suggestions for how to get involved?

evansb
21st Sep 2019, 16:39
Have you tried the Canadian-based aviation forum AvCanada ?

Pilot DAR
22nd Sep 2019, 01:39
I know there is a group of pilots who meet for brunch weekly at the Collingwood airport restaurant, I've chatted with a few of them a few times. You will also find activity at Edenvale. At Edenvale, there is at least one "restoration" project underway, perhaps more. Go and volunteer with the project group, and your social circle of pilots will expand.

My experience has been that you have to spend some time just hanging around and getting to know some of the pilots, then the action begins to find you. There have been lots of local fly ins in central Ontario this summer (I've only made a couple of them), they are also a great way to meet the local fliers. If' you're farther afield, the Tailwinds restaurant at Orillia airport is very popular, there's lots of activity at Orillia, and usually someone to chat flying with.

I have certainly noticed a shift in the last four decades, away from social gatherings at the airport. In the past times, the airport would be a busy place, flying day or not. More now, I find that either the weather is nice, and pilot owners breeze through the airport to go or return from flying, or, if the weather is poor, they stay home and read the forums! 'Not so much just hanging around as there used to be. In the '70's, Lindsay airport would be so busy, that we'd land, and there simply was no more apron space available to park to go for lunch. Now I fly there, and it's pretty quiet - lots of parking space.

cj3pilot
23rd Sep 2019, 16:01
Collingwood has a lot of private pilots around and has a very good flying school.It is also one of the nicest private airports around.There is also a EAA chapter there .Go to the airport and go to the front desk and let them know what you would like they will be more then glad to help you out..

extralite
25th Sep 2019, 17:03
Thanks so much all and the message from Barry. Will do that.