PDA

View Full Version : LAPL vs PPL - advice needed

LoxtonM
21st Sep 2019, 09:53
Hi, I need some advice. I have reached the point where I simply cannot continue as things are due to instructor availability, and I am having lessons cancelled on a regular basis. I have not flown now for over a month, and it has been 4 months since I went solo.

I need to consider my options. I am considering changing to a different school, but I'm not sure if the situation will be any better (I'm told the instructor shortage is country-wide). My other option is to change to the LAPL, which is looking like the only way I'm going to get to fly if I continue at this current school. Several of the staff tell me that it's virtually the same, and there are plenty of instructors able to teach LAPL. I'm aware that the requirements are lower and I would have to progress to PPL anyway if I want to do anything else (which I intend to do because PPL was my original goal).

So my question is: how easy is it to continue on to PPL if I do decide to go this route? Is it a route you'd recommend given my instructor situation, or is it better to stick with PPL and instead find a school that can accomodate me? Also, do the extra 10 hours I need to go to PPL have to include an equal amount of instructor led training, or do I just have to rack up 10 solo hours and make sure one of them includes a 300nm flight?

I know there are plenty of threads on this but they are all several years old. :)

Short version: I want to continue PPL but can't because of lack of instructors. Do I switch schools or go LAPL?

BillieBob
21st Sep 2019, 15:57
I'm aware that the requirements are lower Hmm, not much. You have to pass the same theoretical knowledge exams and the standard required on the skill test is exactly the same.
​​​​​​Also, do the extra 10 hours I need to go to PPL have to include an equal amount of instructor led training,Yes, in fact you have to complete a course of training at a DTO or ATO:
​​​​​​FCL.210.A
(b) Specific requirements for applicants holding an LAPL(A). Applicants for a PPL(A) holding an LAPL(A) shall have completed at least 15 hours of flight time on aeroplanes after the issue of the LAPL(A), of which at least 10 shall be flight instruction completed in a training course at a DTO or at an ATO. That training course shall include at least four hours of supervised solo flight time, including at least two hours of solo cross-country flight time with at least one cross-country flight of at least 270 km (150 NM), during which full stop landings at two aerodromes different from the aerodrome of departure shall be made.

Whopity
21st Sep 2019, 18:09
In general there are very few instructors who can teach LAPL only, unless you have found the school with both of them.
The hours stated for a LAPL are the minimum and not typical of what you will have to do to get a LAPL. I have never seen anyone get there in the minimum hours especially if the training is eratic.The effort required to get a PPL is very little different, but the conversion of a LAPL to a PPL will cost you a lot more money.
If you want a PPL stick with it, but look at other schools where instructors may not be an issue.

LoxtonM
21st Sep 2019, 18:45
According to people at my current flying school, they have plenty of LAPL instructors but very few PPL instructors. Apparently LAPL instructors only need to have a PPL themselves, while PPL instructors need a CPL. This makes no sense to me, since they're teaching the same syllabus and the same skills, but this is what I'm told.

Funny thing is I already have more than enough dual hours for PPL, but I don't have the solo hours. I've been due to start navigation for the past 6 weeks but they keep cancelling my lessons because of lack of PPL instructors.

Whopity
22nd Sep 2019, 07:50
This makes no sense to me, since they're teaching the same syllabus and the same skills, but this is what I'm told. Its because they have not taken the CPL written exams. Its an ICAO requirement to have demonstrated CPL level knowledge; the LAPL is not an ICAO licence. They have still done the same FI Course to the same standard. 30 years ago a potential FI demonstrated CPL knowledge by taking a pre entry exam before embarking on the FI Course.