PDA

View Full Version : 787 OFCR

SG787
20th Sep 2019, 21:59
I’ve been flying the 787-9 with an OFCR for a year, and I find it difficult to sleep in the bunk.

I’d like to get an idea if this is common, or are most people sleeping like babies. What tips, tricks or traps are there for maximising the ability to sleep. I find the mattress far too thin, and now very compressed, which wrecks my already bad back.

How do you set up your nest?

Fursty Ferret
22nd Sep 2019, 08:14
Earplugs. Something to stick over the stupid buttons to block out the light.

Using the other bunk helps sometimes if the mattress is squished. I end up with cramp in my shoulders a lot because of the way I sink into the "groove" in a worn out mattress.

You're also sleeping with your feet raised by 2 degrees which can exacerbate heartburn etc. Ultimately there's not much you can do, really, especially if the cabin crew are slamming latches and trolleys around underneath.

Sidestick_n_Rudder
22nd Sep 2019, 10:08
If that’s any consolation, my sleep quality in this hole is cr@p as well. I’m always either too hot or too warm, or can’t sleep for other reasons.

It it still beats sleeping in non-flat business class seat with passenger next to you, like on my previous a/c...

ACMS
22nd Sep 2019, 10:20
We have the same issues on the A350 overhead crew rest bunks as well.
The mattress is too damn hard and those stupid lights in buttons which we have to cover.

I find it hard to sleep unless you are really tired.

However as said above, it beats a business class flat bed seat.

Smythe
22nd Sep 2019, 12:29
Use the spare oxygen like the CP crews!

VinRouge
22nd Sep 2019, 18:18
Lavender Oil on my pillow usually does the trick. Carry some in my flight bag. Just make sure you change the pillow case for
the next mukka!

Also do have a really dull book on my kindle. Seriously. A few chapters and I’m nodding dog.

Capn Bloggs
23rd Sep 2019, 06:52
Also do have a really dull book on my kindle. Seriously. A few chapters and I’m nodding dog.
Ops manual?

punkalouver
24th Sep 2019, 03:15
A friend of mine on the 777 says he did a lot of sleeping in the chair instead of the bunk. Liked it dark and would end up squeezing sheets and pillow cases in various areas to block out the lights. Why can't Boeing make the OFCR truly dark. One can find the exit if need be and don't need multiple emergency lights and bright seatbelt/washroom occupied lights.

One thing that was helpful for the hard mattress bunks was to use the duvet that was provided by the airline. One was provided for each bunk. Fold it over so it was twice as thick. And.....grab a couple more from the first class area from empty seats and folded them over as well. Now there are 6 layers of duvet and a nice soft sleeping surface.

agg_karan
24th Sep 2019, 06:06
Unfortunately 777 OFCR certifications (and assuming 787 as well) require display of lights warning signs etc so while one would need a truly dark environment to sleep, it will never be a reality.

Eculaytus oil does the trick quite well. Maybe some wet towels as well. And of course gotto to be really tired.
‘For a while I carried my own memory foam 12inches by 18inches orthopedic pillow, it helped but was cumbersome-so left it after a while.

Lastly use use ear plugs it firstly helps I think.

Good luck :)

deja vu
24th Sep 2019, 09:22
You all have my sympathy, only x more years of this ahead!

tdracer
24th Sep 2019, 18:12
Unfortunately 777 OFCR certifications (and assuming 787 as well) require display of lights warning signs etc so while one would need a truly dark environment to sleep, it will never be a reality.

Yep, sorry but the lights are a regulatory requirement. You can't blame Boeing (or Airbus) for that.
I wonder if they could get away with a 'dimmer switch' arrangement, with some safety override that automatically restored full bright below a certain altitude?