PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Eyes new Tokyo Haneda flights.

Bad Adventures
16th Sep 2019, 08:44
Will be interesting to see how this one plays out. Anybody got the inside word on which aircraft they’ll use for these slots.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/qantas-tokyo-haneda-slots/amp/

ampclamp
16th Sep 2019, 23:47
Too late for the rugby world cup, but in good time for the Olympics. 2 slots to Japanese carriers and 2 to Aus carriers.
Haneda is my preferred airport there.

PoppaJo
17th Sep 2019, 00:12
Well going off tradition it won’t be Adelaide or Perth.

Snakecharma
17th Sep 2019, 00:52
But what will virgin do with their slot?

Bad Adventures
17th Sep 2019, 00:54
Looks like 2nd daily service for Sydney and Melbourne to switch from Narita.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/qantas-reveals-plans-for-new-sydney-melbourne-flights-to-tokyo-haneda?fbclid=IwAR2yqlH_3uToXfA44ghM8J-jcIHfjpfrK3wd1kZSExD_uAgv9umRgtsMFh

dragon man
17th Sep 2019, 02:14
So the question is can the 787 fly 24 hours a day because they are in my opinion running out of airframes. They are still clutching at straws IMO hoping that the 380 will go there late next year, I think more likely 2 x 787s a day.

dragon man
17th Sep 2019, 05:17
Qantas won’t like that, they will have already banked on getting both.

VH-ABC
17th Sep 2019, 05:32
... which should be seen as anti-competitive. Virgin should get the one that they request.

crosscutter
17th Sep 2019, 05:48
Competition is one thing but...

These slots have been “given” to International airlines (not domestic) by the Japanese government in an effort to boost tourism. They couldn’t give a rats about fair competition for Aussie airlines.

An interesting decision for the commission nevertheless and if Virgin are successful, QF could probably rightly feel a little aggrieved at the unfairness of such coveted slots being gifted to a new entrant.

dragon man
17th Sep 2019, 06:32
I can’t stop laughing , management would have been rubbing there hands in glee over this. Move the Melbourne service to Haneda and then two daily 787 services to replace the 747. All sweet and then along comes pesky Virgin to pull the carpet from under their feet. Great stuff.

ECAMACTIONSCOMPLETE
17th Sep 2019, 06:37
I think QF management knew of Virgins intentions. Gareth Evans mentioned at the Jetstar Live event that they knew of virgins interest in the Japanese market.

slice
17th Sep 2019, 06:47
‘Gifted’ ? As I understand it simply being the incumbent Australian operator doesn’t entitle Qantas to all and any future slots to any destination. What ‘deal’ regarding Narita Ops to obtain Haneda slots do you speak of? Of course Japan doesn’t care about Competition between Aus Airlines, that’s why we have the IASC. From the IASC website it looks as though they seek as many applications for the slots as possible as part of their charter is to encourage competition. AFAIK technically there is an Open skies agreement between Japan and Australia, the constraint being airport slots.

crosscutter
17th Sep 2019, 06:58
It took 5 years for QF (Australia) to be offered a Haneda slot.

5 years after that the next slots (these ones) have been offered.

They are rare (and prized) is what I’m really getting at.

If virgin can snag one then good on them. QF might feel a bit grumpy don’t you think?

machtuk
17th Sep 2019, 07:21
The SkyGods have a LOT of clout, they generally get what they want!:-)

Goat Whisperer
17th Sep 2019, 08:10
If Qantas gets both slots Aus-Japan capacity remains about the same. One 747 out, 2 twins in, Mel service moves from NRT. If VA gets one the capacity increases. More tourism both ways.

In a market with an additional slot each for ANA and JAL, Virgin could only thrive in a tie up with a Japanese airline. JAL is deeply in bed with Qantas, so that leaves ANA...

Rated De
17th Sep 2019, 08:23
Qantas surrendered the right to be considered a flag carrier a long time ago.

Qantas were gifted the bilateral slots, something that they held at privatisation.
Qantas also decided that in 2011, "subsidiaries" ought have access to them as well, applying to the International Air Services Commission to amend the rights to reflect their preference.

A privatised airline is just that. Flag of convenience is another thing and the Qantas share register show a whole lot of foreigners too, ..

Given Little Napoleon is up in arms about airport monopoly pricing, he will enthusiastically offer one to Virgin, all in the interests of competition.

Goat Whisperer
17th Sep 2019, 10:50
Honestly Rated De, he's probably very happy to give Virgin more rope to hang themselves with.

Going Boeing
17th Sep 2019, 11:21
Virgin probably has been looking at the healthy profits being generated by the incumbent carriers operating between Japan & Oz and wanting to share in the spoils.

Might I suggest that Virgin do some historical research into how the profits evaporated when Ansett started operating the route a number of years ago. Can Virgin afford to carry the heavy start up costs without any profits to compensate?

Transition Layer
17th Sep 2019, 12:28
Good one Virgin, nice wind-up. I’m sure you can deploy your extensive wide body fleet wherever you want at a moment’s notice. Quick, HKG isn’t working, let’s fly to HND! Or maybe we’ll try JNB or AUH again instead?

engine out
17th Sep 2019, 12:46
Perhaps Virgin can go to Narita when Qantas move the Melbourne flight to Haneda?

slice
17th Sep 2019, 23:00
6 months (late March) is hardly a moments notice. Looks like HK will go back to 1 daily from Syd only, if they get a slot.

SilverSleuth
17th Sep 2019, 23:20
Virgin could reduce the transcontinental further (still currently averages 3 a day from syd to Perth on the 330) and still keep all the Hong Kong frequency. However like Cathay, United, BA and most other carriers who are already reducing services to Hong Kong due to the unrest) continuing current frequency to Hong kong if the market and loads continue to decline, would make no sense.
A possible daily HKG from Syd and maybe 3 or 4 a week from Melb, slight reduction as well on daily SYD PER maybe the way they go.
I will bet a hook up with ANA and daily service from one city to start with (which city will be in consultation with ANA).

crosscutter
18th Sep 2019, 01:20
The BITRE stats for Virgins HKG ops are crap....some change is coming...Haneda would be a win!

Blueskymine
18th Sep 2019, 02:35
Ever thought Virgin will get the slot, lease it to Qantas and save it for a rainy day?

crosscutter
18th Sep 2019, 02:56
Nup...if Virgin can’t use it for whatever reason now, (which they can) it’s prob more likely QF would get it but the Commission would only grant approval for a smaller timeframe

Bluedoggy
25th Sep 2019, 04:45
VA proposing Brisbane - Haneda, codeshare with ANA and DL....

News at flightglobal (unable to post links).

PPRuNeUser0198
27th Sep 2019, 04:18
You can read Virgin's public submission @ https://www.iasc.gov.au/applications/files/Virgin_Australia-PUBLIC-Application_for_an_allocation_of%20capacity_on_the_Japan_rou te_Sep_2019.pdf (https://www.pprune.org/[url).

A330 equipment.

Rated De
2nd Oct 2019, 07:25
https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/tourism-australia-backs-virgin-over-qantas-in-tokyo-tussle-20191002-p52wzx.html

Qantas and its alliance partner Japan Airlines (JAL) currently have a 91 per cent market share of travellers flying directly between Australia and Japan and operate 90 per cent of the capacity, according to Department of Infrastructure data.

Chairman's Lounge ought help?
Just like airports Little Napoleon, competition is a good thing

dragon man
2nd Oct 2019, 10:35
It would appear they will only get one slot. They still think the 380 will be approved, what I can’t understand is why when Korean and Asiana have been trying for 3 years should Qantas be treated any differently and secondly if the let Qantas go there you will have ANA, BA, Air France and Emirates at least I would think wanting access as well.

Bluedoggy
21st Oct 2019, 07:23
Draft Decsion issued by IASC. VA and QF to get a HND slot each. QF have not announced what they will do with their's.

VA - ANA code share approved for non parrallel routes.

donkey767
21st Oct 2019, 08:29
https://australianaviation.com.au/2019/10/virgin-australia-shares-spoils-with-qantas-in-the-haneda-games/

chuboy
29th Oct 2019, 02:26
Virgin was awarded the extra slot. A bit of healthy competition for Qantas on BNE-TYO.