PDA

View Full Version : Silk Air to relocate B737 MAX fleet to Alice Springs

Office Update
13th Sep 2019, 01:54
CASA Australia has given approval for the Silk Air fleet of Boeing 737 MAX to be relocated to dry storage in Alice Springs.
The aircraft are to be flown below 20,000 feet with 1st stage flap deployed to disarm the MCAS system according to Silk Air.
Mildew and potential corrosion in the humid climate at Changi Airport is the reason.

Australopithecus
13th Sep 2019, 04:02
Well that should be fun. 7.5 hours, uncontrolled airspace, etc.

neville_nobody
13th Sep 2019, 04:17
Why the flaps?? From what I have read if the Autopilot is on MCAS is disabled anyway? :rolleyes:

Australopithecus
13th Sep 2019, 04:44
Why the flaps?? From what I have read if the Autopilot is on MCAS is disabled anyway? :rolleyes:

That's my understanding too. Maybe the regulators are so uneasy that they are demanding “foolproof”?

I guess the Indonesians are going to let them refuel somewhere?

Blueskymine
13th Sep 2019, 04:53
They’d be able to do it in one hit empty. Worst case I suppose Broome is within reach.

Bend alot
13th Sep 2019, 05:32
Do not forget the MAX also has Autopilot issues.

TBM-Legend
13th Sep 2019, 06:09
Lots of Max's have been moved into storage in USA with no issues..

Bend alot
13th Sep 2019, 06:45
Lots of Max's have been moved into storage in USA with no issues..
ALL with the same ferry restrictions 20K and 1 Flap crew only.

Buster Hyman
13th Sep 2019, 08:08
...1 Flap crew only.Surely they'll just go around in circles...

Bend alot
13th Sep 2019, 08:12
Surely they'll just go around in circles...
Very "F" Funny but is not actually what happens.

plhought
13th Sep 2019, 08:24
ALL with the same ferry restrictions 20K and 1 Flap crew only.
I doubt that.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ACA2359

Up in Canada we have recently just been ferrying them about for Checks/Storage (some into the United States) without restriction. Only restriction is required crew only.

Also at my outfit a couple check pilots (ACPs we call em) took one out about Quebec (with some Transport Canada staff onboard) without restriction.

​​​​​​

Bend alot
13th Sep 2019, 09:47
I doubt that.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ACA2359

Up in Canada we have recently just been ferrying them about for Checks/Storage (some into the United States) without restriction. Only restriction is required crew only.

Also at my outfit a couple check pilots (ACPs we call em) took one out about Quebec (with some Transport Canada staff onboard) without restriction.

​​​​​​
Well that just means that other regulators have made airworthiness decisions on the MAX - Less than the FAA.

Fly Aiprt
13th Sep 2019, 09:51
Do not forget the MAX also has Autopilot issues.

This shows some regulators are not too confident in the airplane's systems.

1A_Please
13th Sep 2019, 10:53
They have all been sitting near the end of 2L at SIN for months. I guess they think they'll be grounded for a few months yet so dry storage in ASP makes more sense.

FlightDetent
13th Sep 2019, 17:45
Why the flaps?? From what I have read if the Autopilot is on MCAS is disabled anyway? :rolleyes: MCAS only becomes a problem when it goes berserk after AoA bounces off the scale. Incidentally this may trip the AP off and dots get connected.

Buster Hyman
14th Sep 2019, 11:44
Very "F" Funny but is not actually what happens.lol :}

Serious question though, can CASA impose that restriction on the entire operation of the flight? Or, would it be in conjunction with the relevant authorities who control airspace outside of CASA's jurisdiction?

TBM-Legend
14th Sep 2019, 11:55
These ferry flights will reflect an approval from a request from SIN with an overflight permit from Indonesia and an entry permit from Australia. Each of those will contain very specific requirements and co-ordinated by the relevant regulators.approvals. It's not a free for all.

Global Aviator
14th Sep 2019, 16:13
Fantastic for the Oz boneyard, congrats to whoever came up with that idea.

Routing - WSSS - YBRM - YBAS???

Will it be Silk Air Drivers or Boeing company Pilots???

QuarterInchSocket
14th Sep 2019, 20:28
This shows some regulators are not too confident in the airplane's systems.

or they've factored in for the lowest common denominator, an inept pilot.

harrryw
15th Sep 2019, 04:32
Maybe they should deliver them to PapuaNewGuinea. Help the cargo cult and if the government takes them over may reduce the hull loss there by having less flights with the same number of people.