PDA

View Full Version : Airline operations in Mazatlan Oceanic FIR (MMFO)

Le Flaneur
6th Sep 2019, 22:26
Operations in Mazatlan Oceanic FIR/UIR (MMFO)

Mazatlan Oceanic FIR (MMFO), off the west coast of Mexico, is uncontrolled airspace. It is uncontrolled probably because historically there wasn't much traffic, but this seems to be changing with the following flights routinely operating in MMFO:

Qantas:
QF 7: YSSY to KDFW, A380
QF 8: KDFW to YSSY, A380

United:
UA 100: YSSY to KIAH, B787-9
UA 101: KIAH to YSYS, B787-9

Air New Zealand:
ANZ 28: NZAA to KIAH, B777-300ER
ANZ 29: KIAH to NZAA, B777-300ER

While operating near MMFO, I heard UA 100 making VHF position reports in MMFO on 123.45. There is essentially no documentation for operating in MMFO FIR, was wondering what airline specific guidance there is. Do flight plans get addressed to MMFO? How is the transition from MMFO to KZAK handled? Thank you

bigduke6
7th Sep 2019, 04:47
If it is MMFO airspace, is it really uncontrolled?

I have routed from SCL to LAX, passing through what my Jepp iPad app shows as XX03 FIR (south of N05, East of W120) which was uncontrolled and borders MMFO. Entering MMFO airspace, they did expect position reports. They had HF freq's that they did not answer, and when finally contacted on SATCOM, admitted were out of service.

But if they are only a few flights, it is easy to separate them via level.

ScepticalOptomist
7th Sep 2019, 11:34
We essentially use a pseudo flight following from KZAK via CPDLC and use TIBA broadcast procedures whilst transiting the airspace.

Le Flaneur
10th Sep 2019, 03:15
Big Duke 6:
By my read, there is a difference between XX03 and MMFO. XX03 is airspace not assigned to any country, so it does even have a class of airspace designated. MMFO is assigned to Mexico, RVSM compliance is required FL290 - FL410, hemispheric altitudes are assigned, and the airspace is designated as Class G (uncontrolled) from surface to UNL.