PDA

View Full Version : How "regional" can your accent be before you're considerd to be taking the p***??

helimutt
7th Aug 2002, 22:13
I was wondering how much of a regional accent you can have without the ATCO's thinking you're taking the p***.
I was often referred to as "geordie pilot" by friends at the airfield because of my accent.
Wish i'd gone to uni or private school now!!!

Ahh divvent knaa aboot such things lyke.

tacpot
7th Aug 2002, 22:29
I think by definition the Geordie accent is unintelligible to the rest of the UK population. So the poor old ACTO, with a Lycoming at full chat in the background, over a scratchy VHF Comm setup is going to struggle at best to understand you.

Whether or not he thinks your are taking the p***, is probably down to whether he was mistreated as a small child.

By the way, what is Geordie for QDM QDM QDM?

Chilli Monster
7th Aug 2002, 23:48
Don't give a t**s what your accent is so long as you are understandable and know (or sound as if you know) what you are doing. Tacpot's dyslexia is far more irritating :D (It's ATCO dear boy ;))

CM

tacpot
8th Aug 2002, 11:10
Dyslexic - mio?

It's a typo - I seem to have a lot of trouble entering text correctly when posting to PPrune, and so often make such errors. If I'm keen, I'll proof read the post, if I'm lazy I won't and errors slip through. Soz.

AerBabe
8th Aug 2002, 12:51
Obviously being lazy the day you registered, seeing as you put your name in backwards and didn't bother changing it ;)

tacpot
8th Aug 2002, 13:39
Yup, too lazy by half. :D

Julian
9th Aug 2002, 07:21
A friend and I were having the same conversaton about this but at another slant.

You never hear a BA Captain with a broad Yorkshire accent do you? Never mind aplum in the mouth, sounds like he has the whole bag shoved up his @@@@ :D

I would love to here a Capatin ask "Ah thi al reight a' back?" or "Eeh by 'eck that one were a bit fookin lumpy ya wazark" :D :D

BlueRobin
9th Aug 2002, 09:03
So long as the accent still allows legible radio calls to be made, who gives a stuff?

Currently, iIf you listen out at Wellesbourne at weekends, there's a student PPL from Newcastle. I know the chap and heard his make his first ever RT call. He got the information across okay. But I did mentally picture an eyebrow being raised in the tower... :D

G SXTY
9th Aug 2002, 11:42
Julian - If I were you, I wouldn't let Sicksquid hear you say that.

He might show you his SOP for what to do with that bag of plums . . .:D :D

Julian
19th Aug 2002, 07:56
Heehee, dont worry...I am from Yorkshire originally myself!

foghorn
19th Aug 2002, 09:42
There is nothing wrong with a regional accent as long as the language is clear and correct. Things would be boring if we all spoke with RP or Estuary English accents.

The thicker type of Yorkshire, Lancashire, Glasweigian and in particular Geordie/North Eastern accents can be problematic. This is particularly so if many dialect words are used, or in the case of Yorks/Lancs accents, words omitted or old English pronouns and verbs used ('thee'/'thou'/'he were'). This also stands for younger people who use 'street' language.

It's all about knowing what's right for a situation and accommodating accordingly.

cheers!
'posh Yorkshire' foggy