PDA

View Full Version : Flight to Lydd, Manston or Biggin Hill?

chrisblore
7th Aug 2002, 19:58
I am about to have my 14th birthday on the 26th August and will be receiving a trial flying lesson. I have been using Microsoft Flight Simulator for 7 years and must have logged about 3000 hours so far... I have also had a trial lesson last year from Southend (EGMC) in a Cessna 152 Aerobat (G-JEET) for about 1/2 hour. We took off, flew up towards Burnham, then made a left hand turn to fly along the sea front. We then made a couple of loops and barrel rolls before making another left hander to land back at Southend. I obviously needed no convincing that flying is the thing for me and I would eventually like to become a Commercial Pilot.
This year, I will be having another trial flight from EGMC and I have the choice of flying to Lydd, Manston or Biggin Hill. Which of these do you think I should take and could you give me an approximation of the flying time to each of these airfields?
Thanks for all your help
Chris Blore

Keef
7th Aug 2002, 22:07
Lydd is the furthest from EGMC, Manston and Biggin probably about the same distance - but Biggin has absurd amounts of traffic sometimes, and you could spend a large part of your time sitting on the ground waiting to get airborne.

I'd suggest Lydd - further, and more interesting things to see on the way.

Flying time will depend on the aircraft you use, whether you go direct or via somewhere, and the wind.

Direct, no wind, I'd expect a 150 or 152 to take about 20 minutes to Biggin and Manston, and about 25 minutes to Lydd.

But hey - why do you wait for birthdays and trial lessons? If you work at it, you can get to know a lot of friendly people at EGMC who will offer you "spare seats" when they are flying somewhere. I've taken folks to the Channel Islands before now, when I've had an empty seat. OK, you can't log it as official training time, but you may well get to pole it anyway.

For example, there's a PPRuNe fly-in at Sywell soon (look at the top of Private Flying), and I've got at least two empty seats in G-UTSY going there.

Speak to the Kentish Fledgling - he's done a fair bit of flying in his time...

sennadog
8th Aug 2002, 07:16
Pretty much what Keef said. I'd opt for Lydd as it's slightly more interesting than the other two plus being further away it will make the flight longer. Try to go via Bewl Water as some of the scenery around there is great.

TheKentishFledgling
8th Aug 2002, 09:52
Hi Chris,

Yes, as Keef said, go for Lydd.

I've flown from Lydd and Manston, and overhead Biggin, and as said, Lydd will give you most airborne time, and it's also a friendly 'drome. (It will also give you good practice in "airfield spotting" - it's fairly well camoflauged, and doesn't have a sodd!ng long runway to stand out like Manston does!).

I'm in fact starting my PPL this Saturday from Manston! :D

Good luck whichever field you go to, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Llet us know how you get on,
tKF

PS As Keef said, don't be afraid to hang around you local airfields! Ask owners if they want their a/c washing, ask if the hangar wants sweeping, windows want cleaning....anything!
The worst that can happen is they'll say no, but at the best, you might get some flying time in!

str12
8th Aug 2002, 10:44
Some interesting artwork and signatures on the walls at Lydd too..

Enjoy,

str12

Kirstey
9th Aug 2002, 09:40
Lydd's the boil on the butt of GA in the UK. Never go to Lydd!! The place is an absolute hole!!

go to Manston! you may even get to mix it with a 747.

Small Pilot
9th Aug 2002, 12:25
Kirstey, why so aggressive against Lydd? I fly out of Southend, so have visited all 3 places. Granted, Lydd is not cheap but not as pricey as Biggin, and I agree with the others that its probably the nicest flight of the 3.

Kirstey
9th Aug 2002, 12:46
1: The place just looks bad!
2: Awful Runway and even worse taxiways
3: Miserable FISOs - The Biggin ATCO being the notable exception (is he still there)
4: I've never been there and had the NDB and airfield DME working at the same time (only been there a few times I may add!)
5: Delusions of grandeur! Desperatly want to reinstate a full ATCS despite the fact they sold their ILS to Bournemouth and never repaired their posh radar when it blew into the sea. What kind of management sells off its gear then decides it wants everything back!
6: More delusions of grandeur. They want the London TMA lowered and a Class D control zone around there international airport. Amazingly enough the proposals for this were NOT recieved on April 1st.
7: A little expensive - 14 quid is incredible! for what??? cheaper than Fairoaks though!

The place is just an unkempt dump. I wouldn't want my identity to be revealed. Which is a shame - I have some lovely CAA stories about Lydd!

Hersham Boy
9th Aug 2002, 13:01
Ease up on Lydd! This chap is going on a trial flight, not doing his Qx/c there!

I did one leg of my qx/c to Lydd and there ARE a bit miserable, but the scenery is what makes it...

Enjoy, Chris

Hersh

Kirstey
9th Aug 2002, 13:11
Off the soapbox!

I was going to post on the end of my last rant:

1: Scenery heading towards Lydd from the north is fantastic - Bewl Water, Detling Hill (even Ashford with it's big white erection)

2: The Food is pretty good too!

distaff_beancounter
9th Aug 2002, 15:00
(even Ashford with it's big white erection) Can anyone tell me what this is, please?

I always seem to travel with passengers who expect me to give a running commentary on the scenary. (Or else they are just s*** scared that I will get lost, if I havn't managed to correctly identify every town :D )

Anyhow, they keep asking "what is that big white erection?" every time we pass Ashford.

They don't seem to believe my wilder guesses such as "it is the portal to the second Channel Tunnel" or "its the new scram-jet spaceport for day trips to the Moon" :)

enq
9th Aug 2002, 15:08
I did my first XC solo to Lydd (fm SND) and my major criticism is that the runway, at the time, was far too low necessitating a go around at 300' (Radio transmission at end of Stuka style dive towards threshold):
Me: G-XXXX going around
Lydd Radio: Thought you might.

Did my QXC to Lydd (and Shoreham) in May - noticed they had sorted out the runway height but also installed a "cloak of invisibility" device. Finally located the airfield by flying over it twice.

As said before - A good route & an informal airfield with a cafe & bogs - what could be finer ?

Regards. Enq.

Kirstey
9th Aug 2002, 15:09
It's a shopping centre - a retail outlet centre I believe. Which I think means it's full of seconds shops and stuff like that.

With the Lydd peninsula, the white erection at Ashford and Bewl Water you have some fantastic landmarks to try and not get lost!

Wye is lovely as well, justy to the NE of Ashford, with the big Chalk Crown on the hill side.

TheKentishFledgling
9th Aug 2002, 15:40
MacArhtur Glen Designer Outlet is the big white erection!

It's not a seconds place, it's all new stuff, straight from the factories! Any designer name you can think of has a shop there, and at very reasonable prices. Normally it's 50% or more of the high street prices!

Good place if you like that kind of thing (I do with mates when I'm in the mood!).
But also bad memories, as I normally end up going there with my Mum when flying trips from Lydd are cancelled :mad:

tKF

distaff_beancounter
9th Aug 2002, 15:46
Lydd ..... installed a "cloak of invisibility" device When I was a student pilot, I used to find that the grey runway blended in perfectly, with the same shade of grey surroundings.

Went in there a few weeks ago, with:
NAV1 "R-nav'd" off Lydd VOR.
NAV2 set direct on Lydd VOR.
DME on Lydd VOR.
The ADF on Lydd NBD.
2 x GPSs set for Lydd airport.
PLUS 4 x pairs of Mark 1 eye-balls, all looking out for the field.

We found the airport at (almost) the first attempt.

I cannot imagine why anyone thinks that Lydd is difficult to find! :D

Aussie Andy
9th Aug 2002, 16:18
Kirstey - I agree with you about Lydd... on the one occasion I've visited I too found it shabby (and hard to spot as others have mentioned, but that just adds to the fun!) and the landing fee definitely OTT! Personally would avoid unless a) fan stops and I am nearby or b) desparate for fuel!

But still, I suppose you can't like every place can you..!

Keef
9th Aug 2002, 19:32
Went to Lydd, yonks ago, with a Parish Treasurer who insisted on me taking him flying. I picked Lydd at random, on the basis WX to the north of EGMC was cr@p.

He saw it before I did, and had the horrors. He recognised it: it was the place he'd been tortured in his military days into parachuting from some obscene height.

We did land, and he spent the next hour or so telling me his memories of all the various bits on the ground. Quite put me off the place.

But still preferable to Biggin, in my book. Cheaper, and no vast queues for takeoff.

I still remember my QXC (1982) to Biggin. I heard ATC say "You are number 26 in the queue for takeoff." (That was before they renamed it "departure"). Fortunately that wasn't for me: it was some poor budding PPL. I'd jumped the queue by going to the tower and departing from the middle of the runway.

distaff_beancounter
9th Aug 2002, 20:12
Kirstey & tKF Thanks for the info on Ashford's big white erection. I will be able to give an accurate commentary to me passengers, next I go past it. :)

And tKF I do hope you manage to spend less time there shopping with your Mum, & more time at Lydd flying. ;)

Keef
9th Aug 2002, 20:17
Chrisblore - you're very quiet on all this.

Any comments?

TheKentishFledgling
9th Aug 2002, 20:18
And tKF I do hope you manage to spend less time there shopping with your Mum, & more time at Lydd flying.

After some of the things that have been said about Lydd in this thread....do I want to ? ;) :D

tKF

distaff_beancounter
9th Aug 2002, 20:26
TKF Well I see you are based at Manston, which is much better equiped, but I expect you will do some cross-countries to Lydd.

I just hope that you will soon get some better weather, than that forecast for this weekend. I like seeing a keen young 'un learning to fly.

All the best :)

chrisblore
10th Aug 2002, 06:00
Thanks for all your responses. I was initially thinking of going to Lydd but now I'm not so sure. We have some relations down near Margate and only about 5 minutes away from Manston so, after having talked to the flying school, I think I may go there as, from what you have all said about Lydd, it appears to be a bit of a dump!! Also Biggin Hill would probably be a bit too busy as I have seen myself during several visits there.
Thanks for all your help
Chris

TheKentishFledgling
10th Aug 2002, 08:59
I just hope that you will soon get some better weather, than that forecast for this weekend

:( Yes, the TAF for Manston today doesn't look too welcoming, especailly later this afternoon!

EGMH 100734Z 100716 VRB04KT 9999 BKN025 TEMPO 1016 8000 SHRA BKN025CB
PROB40 TEMPO 1116 4000 TSRA +SHRA BKN015CB=

I live about 10-12 miles from the airfield, and atm here it's lovely for VFR!

We shall see at 1500 today!

tKF

Kirstey
12th Aug 2002, 09:15
Just to justify my rants a bit!

I flew to Lydd yesterday and on the way out the FISO "Cleared for Immediate Take Off at my Discrection"!

I mean whats that all about??!!

Who has control?
12th Aug 2002, 11:36
G-JEET - I did my first solo in her. Not to be confused with the other -ET at EGMC, the big greeny-grey, 4-engined delta winged bat!

foghorn
12th Aug 2002, 12:03
Kirstey,

So London Ashford Final Director is still at it, then. :rolleyes: Guess my moans about the place are still valid.

Kirstey
12th Aug 2002, 12:12
He's a bloody nightmare!! I decided to respond with a "roger" to just see if he demanded a readback but he didn't!

Half the problem is those trilander pilots like to the play the game as well!! so they respond to incorrect phrasiology with more incorrect phrasilogy!

oh and the airfield information given to me on 1st contact was - "22 Lefthand two in" correct information, but open to misunderdtanding and misinterpretation!!!