PDA

View Full Version : PPL Course

T18
25th Aug 2019, 13:04
Hi people

My nephew is an ATC cadet and has expressed a desire to become a ppl with a view to join the RAF when he becomes twenty.

I’m looking for school recommendations near Reading and he is aware of not parting with cash etc and of course try several schools to get the best fit.

Thanks in advance
T18

Genghis the Engineer
25th Aug 2019, 22:23
West London Aero Club, White Waltham, is very near Reading, very well regarded, and will tick every box - including if he wants to ensure the best possible handling skills, which the RAF would like to see, tailwheel and aerobatics.

G

BroomstickPilot
27th Aug 2019, 12:52
Hi T18,
Tell your nephew not to bother with the PPL. A couple of years ago, when visiting the Farnborough Air Show, I got into conversation with an instructor at the joint services aircrew training establishment. I asked him about the value of a PPL to a pilot entrant into the RAF/FAA/AAC. He told me that a PPL only gives a student pilot an advantage for about the first 30 days of training. After that, his non-PPL classmates will have caught up with him. So, bearing in mind the huge cost of a PPL, it would be a very high price to pay for just 30 days advantage. What would be much more worthwhile for your nephew to do, would be to take the RAF aircrew pre-selection tests, which he can do before actually joining up. (Your original post doesn't mention whether he has done this or not). It is quite possible, for example, that he might pass, but not for pilot; he might pass for navigator or air electronics officer, in which case his PPL will be of no help to him whatever. Alternatively, he might fail altogether on something that cannot be corrected, such as eyesight standards, then at least he will know that he will have to look to some other career in the RAF, perhaps as in air traffic controller, engineer officer, or whatever.
Regards,
BP.

Lincoln1989
3rd Sep 2019, 08:50
I agree with this. I was an Army Scholar/University Bursar who wanted to join the Army Air Corps. I went through the aptitude testing and flight grading (all passed) only to fail a minor medical 3 months prior to going to Sandhurst due to eczema on my hands. Any investment on a PPL would have been a waste of time. Tell him to get his head in the right place for passing all the selection tests and then, hopefully once he's sailed through, he can enjoy having al his training paid for!