PDA

View Full Version : Is Gibraltar open for G.A.?

Jinkster
7th Aug 2002, 16:09
Just wondered :rolleyes:

Whipping Boy's SATCO
7th Aug 2002, 16:29
It certainly was a couple of years ago. I can't remember if there is a faff for flights arriving direct from Spain. There were definitely problems with scheduled and military flights.

Flyontrack
7th Aug 2002, 16:57
Gib is open to GA, I've seen GA aircraft parked on the apron, but you can't go directly from a spanish airport to Gib. If you think you may need to divert from Gib (not uncommon given the interesting wind and weather conditions) make sure you carry enough fuel to land somewhere other than Spain.

You'd be wise to phone up Gib ATC and have a chat about the local rules before you commit yourself!

Rob_L
7th Aug 2002, 19:01
There's no big problem with Gib. It's controlled airspace, I think you still have to do an SRA to go in, but as you're in VMC (aren't you?) it's no problem, just follow the headings and altitudes given. It's to steer you away from the Spanish Prohited Area.

The Spanish are serious about you not flying there from Spain. Portugal or even Tanger (Morocco) will do fine.

Expect relatively expensive charges (landing/parking fees, passenger tax, apron charges) all paid in different places behind locked doors with no-one to open them. Cost me and my C150 £50 4 years ago.

Cigarettes are very cheap, but no tax discount on fuel.(Get fuel from Tanger). Refueller was totally incompetent when I was here, ended up with tidal wave of fuel over the a/c and ground which they then tried to charge me for. Refusal led to slanging match and refusal to fill up the other tank till I'd paid. A/c had to be washed down by fire department. It was a disgrace.

ATC were friendly and used to helping out when things got complicated.

Cathar
7th Aug 2002, 19:03
IFIM International AIP Library

Gibraltar

Aircraft Entry Requirements
All private and nonscheduled commercial aircraft landing for commercial or noncommercial purposes must obtain prior permission from the Commander, Air Headquarters Royal Air Force, North Front, Gibraltar, 24 hours in advance. The request for approval should give composition of crew and passenger list, if any, as well as servicing required.

Corporate Aircraft Constraints
None reported.

Special Notices
Movements from Spain to Gibraltar and vice versa are prohibited. Spanish airspace surrounding Gibraltar is a restricted area.

International AIP Library Source
AIP by NOTAM

International NOTAM Office
GIBRALTAR-LXGBYNYX

Aerodromes of Entry
DOD En route Supplement/Chart: Europe, N. Africa and Mideast L 11, 13; H 4.

City/Aerodrome: Gibraltar/North Front
Location Identifier: LXGB
Commercial: NONE
Telex: No Telex
Aerodrome Coordinates: 36°09'04"N, 05°20'59"W
Longest Runway: H60
Field Lighting: L 4, 5, 9
Fuel Available: 100, JA1
Remarks: Military field. Customs: 24. WGT-CAT: C-141.