PDA

View Full Version : Renting in NY or NJ

treadigraph
7th Aug 2002, 15:54
Can anyone recommend FBOs around New York / New Jersey (anywhere within 50nm of NYC would be fine) for renting a C150/C152 or similar in October? Also any good places to visit (not Old Rheinbeck, I've heard it's tricky and only really open for vintage types - going there by car!)

Cheers

Treadders

100LL
7th Aug 2002, 21:23
Dont know about renting in that area but i stayed in Ticonderoga 2 years ago, a friend of mine lives that way on we flew up to a little field in Vermont on the shore of lake Champlain (cant remember its name) but what a stunning little field excellnt faciltys, fantastic restaurant, very friendly people would definatly go back

PhilD
8th Aug 2002, 12:43
I'm in NYC for 3 months (been here 1 month so far) and did some research to find a suitable place to rent based on these criteria:
- accessible from NYC by public transport
- reasonable size FBO with good availability
- smallish towered airport without big delays

Ended up at Caldwell Flight Academy .**commercial link removed. Do a search for the above.** at Essex County (KCDW) in Wayne, NJ. A 30 min bus ride from the MTA bus station in NYC, plus a 1 mile walk or taxi ride.

Good fleet (Cessna and Piper) , reasonable prices, good availability and very professional.

stiknruda
8th Aug 2002, 12:50
Have a buddy called Brian (fellow Scot but married a Septic) who owns/runs a flight school in NJ. Send me yr e-addy and I'll put you in touch with him.

Stik

treadigraph
10th Aug 2002, 11:33
Thanks for the gen folks!

Treadders

eyeinthesky
10th Aug 2002, 20:31
I rented from Century Flight Academy at Morristown (SW of Caldwell) a few years back and found them very good. Don't know whether they are still in business.

Their attitude was a pragmatic one. Rather than: "How many hours have you got? OK you can rent XXX" it was "You come and fly with one of our instructors and if they say you're OK to fly even though you may only have 50 hours, then you can fly". The CFI said he had people with 1000s of hours who came to him and then showed that they had no idea of how to cope with a forced landing and he wouldn't hire to them. Seemed sensible.

gra
28th Aug 2002, 13:57
Republic airport (FRG) on Long Island is probably the most popular one in the NY area. It does get quite busy, though, and only has slightly less movements than JFK or LGA! You might find yourself cleared to land with as many as 8 other aircraft ahead on a busy day!

I rent from Nassau Flyers, and can also recommend the quality of their instruction and general high quality operation. There are other operators on the field but I've been less than impressed with the maintenance of some of the aircraft I've seen and flown.

A good place to find all operators is through http://www.aopa.org - follow the "Learn To Fly" links.

Graham.

PS - I also recommend reading "The Pilot's Radio Communication Handbook" by Paul E Illman, ISBN 0-07-031832-8, if you're not familar with US ATC procedures and the airspace system. It covers both very comprehensively, with walk-throughs of typical scenarios, and will make the whole experience more enjoyable and understandable.

VP8
31st Aug 2002, 08:37
Don't forget to get your FAA approval at least 2 months before arrival (see previous threads for links)