PDA

View Full Version : easyJet Callouts

A320ECAM
16th Aug 2019, 18:10
Hello,

Just doing a bit of research.
Could someone kindly inform me (either here or PM) the easyJet callouts used during takeoff, climb, descent, approach and landing?

Takeoff (PF and PM):
Takeoff
TOGA / MAN FLEX __ SRS RWY AUTOTHRUST BLUE
Thrust Set
100 Knots
Checked
V1
Rotate
Positive Rate
Gear Up
Gear Up
Ground Spoilers
Disarmed
(at LVR CLB): Climb
Flaps 1
Speed Check Flaps 1

For climb, do you say "1000 to go" until the altitude in the ALT window?

For transition, do you say "Altimeter" and "Standard"?

For TOD, do you say "Descent" or just read the FMA along with ALT Blue FL300?

For 1500, do you say "LDG MEMO NO BLUE"?

Landing gear down at 2000ft?

For 1000, do you callout STABLE or CHECKED?

For MINIMUMS, do you callout "CONTINUE"?

And after landing?

Thank you.

Airmann
17th Aug 2019, 16:25
Trying to make your flight Sim experience as realistic as possible eh?

alex_s229
17th Aug 2019, 18:07
Hello,

Just doing a bit of research.
Could someone kindly inform me (either here or PM) the easyJet callouts used during takeoff, climb, descent, approach and landing?

Takeoff (PF and PM):
Takeoff
TOGA / MAN FLEX __ SRS RWY AUTOTHRUST BLUE
Thrust Set
100 Knots
Checked
V1
Rotate
Positive Rate climb
Gear Up
Gear Up
Ground Spoilers
Disarmed
(at LVR CLB): "thrust Climb, climb" (FMA if NADP 1), reply: "checked"
Flaps 0
Speed Check Flaps 0

For climb, do you say "1000 to go" until the altitude in the ALT window? yes

For transition, do you say "Altimeter" and "Standard"? "set standard" reply: standard crosschecked passing FL __ now", "checked"

For TOD, do you say "Descent" or just read the FMA along with ALT Blue FL300? just read the FMA

For 1500, do you say "LDG MEMO NO BLUE"? not passing 1500ft but during ldg C/L

Landing gear down at 2000ft? depends.....

For 1000, do you callout STABLE or CHECKED? just 1000ft if stable, if not stable on certain parameters you call them out followed by unstable (ie: "1000, unstable speed"), for other parameters it is just "not stable G/A"

For MINIMUMS, do you callout "CONTINUE"? if not visual beforehand and becoming visual at minimums yes

And after landing? spoilers rev green decel 70kt

Thank you.
[/QUOTE]

chobo97
18th Aug 2019, 09:18
FCOM A320 PRO-NOR-SOP-90 P 1/10

You can find every airbus std callout in there

EcamSurprise
18th Aug 2019, 10:12
FCOM A320 PRO-NOR-SOP-90 P 1/10

You can find every airbus std callout in there

You can find the FCOMs online at the SmartCockpit website.

And dont bash it even if it’s for flight sim. I have many fond memories of FSXing before I went into flying for real.

Centaurus
19th Aug 2019, 01:15
Flaps 1Speed Check Flaps 1
What's this "Speed checked" thing? Yet another increasingly superfluous call-out when you have already got a pair of eyes.

deja vu
19th Aug 2019, 03:42
What's this "Speed checked" thing? Yet another increasingly superfluous call-out when you have already got a pair of eyes.

When the concept of operating as a "crew" was never really fully understood, then all call-outs would seem superfluous.

pineteam
19th Aug 2019, 07:07
I don’t undestand why they don’t call “A/THR blue” during take off roll?
Is it to avoid an unnecessary rejected take off in case it’s not displayed?

Sidestick_n_Rudder
19th Aug 2019, 07:23

i don’t fly for Easy, but it’s just a standard FMA call and it comes from Airbus original SOP

pineteam
19th Aug 2019, 07:43
i don’t fly for Easy, but it’s just a standard FMA call and it comes from Airbus original SOP

By Airbus you have to call out the A/THR. But in Easyjet they don’t during take off roll thus my question.

giggitygiggity
19th Aug 2019, 12:40

I think it is a sensible thing to say/do. I'll say 'speed checked', then point to the speed, then select the config. The pointing is my own little personal SOP, but it just makes me slow down and think about it a bit more. A bit like the Japanese train drivers. Quick bit of googling says the following
Research conducted in 1994 by the Railway Technical Research Institute. Workers asked to complete a simple task made 2.38 errors per 100 actions when no special steps were taken to prevent errors. When told to add just calling or just pointing, their error rate dropped significantly. But the greatest reduction in error — to just 0.38 mistakes per 100 actions — was achieved when workers used both steps together. The combination of pointing and calling reduced mistakes by almost 85 percent.
It'a a very specific case but suggests that slowing things down reduces slip errors. We now (as part of SOP at easyJet) must pause when selecting either the gear or the flap, just to give your colleague a chance to spot your slip error before putting the flaps in after take off in error. Not sure that is Airbus SOP but as I understand it, it has reduced the number of errors like this we've been making.

sheppey
19th Aug 2019, 13:21
The V1 call-out is a serious decision speed call. So why doesn't the captain say "Speed checked" to indicate he agrees with the call? Same with VR. You could apply that "speed checked" nonsense to any number of selections where airspeed is concerned. Where does this all stop? Silent monitoring of various flight instruments is part of normal airmanship. But the unnecessary articulation of what you are monitoring is a bit over the top.

neilki
19th Aug 2019, 14:29
You'd reject because Autothrust wasn't armed?
Your Takeoff brief must be fun.
My operator does not call colors at all. The bus can be so chatty during critical phases we regularly missed ATC instructions until callouts were curtailed. Other US operators did too.
Cross checking speed once is enough; we have a 100k call with an 80k
"Thrust Set". That serves as a prompt to reduce forward pressure, and release it at the 100k call..
Magenta over Blue, one Flight Director, 2. If it screams Retard in the Takeoff roll, TOGA :-)
Airbus were happy with how we fly during a recent audit; it's always fun to j/s on another carrier and see how differently Operators fly the same jet...

pineteam
19th Aug 2019, 15:13
You'd reject because Autothrust wasn't armed?
Your Takeoff brief must be fun.

Come on man please stop those assumptions cause you are totally wrong.
Briefing? Are you joking? Unless my colleague wants one or there is a specific procedure/threat I don’t brief.
It’s a standard call out by Airbus. I’m just curious why they skip it. Why not skipping “Runway” also? The A/THR status is more important IMHO.
And you will be surprised but it happens than a set of crew rejected a take off because the FMA was missing “A/THR blue”.
They rejected the Take off first time due to a small issue then on the second attempt they were unaware that after a rejected take off you can not recover the A/THR until Airborne. So they rejected the take off a second time thinking they did something wrong. And both crew were very respectful pilots. So I guess that’s could be a reason they skip that call out since anyway A/THR is not mandatory.

deja vu
19th Aug 2019, 15:38
The V1 call-out is a serious decision speed call. So why doesn't the captain say "Speed checked" to indicate he agrees with the call? Same with VR. You could apply that "speed checked" nonsense to any number of selections where airspeed is concerned. Where does this all stop? Silent monitoring of various flight instruments is part of normal airmanship. But the unnecessary articulation of what you are monitoring is a bit over the top.

Well it has been working fine for at least 27 years since I first flew an Airbus, not sure how many years before that though. Where does it all stop you ask, stops with flap and gear, these are the only things that you hang out or retract where airspeed is critical ( hardly "any number of selections"). With flap when PF asks for a new setting the PNF actually checks the speed, calls "speed checks" and makes the selection if the speed is within limits. This is equally important with flap retraction or extension. Its a little like PF calling "gear up" and PNF respond with "positive rate" and selects gear up, is this positive rate call also nonsense?

On the V1/Vr calls, serious as you say, it was considered that the 100 knots call and the response of "checked" was sufficient to ensure that both pilots were awake and that both ASI were accurate as the aircraft hurtled toward V1, as you say a time for silent monitoring.

This stuff wasn't just made up by a couple of Airbus guys in the bar, an enormous amount of research went into it by all sorts of professionals.

I don't care how good you are or how many hours you've flown we all stuff up occasionally and this might just save busting a speed, I've seen it work.

giggitygiggity
19th Aug 2019, 21:46

Where does this all stop... At the gear and flap selections. There are probably only 6 or 7 in a normal flight. Do you not announce a go around? It's obvious because you've slammed the thrust levers forward, or what about a stall or windshear recover as it's just clear that you're flying the recovery procedure? Maybe calling something out at some point might have saved AF447; you had one guy kinda flying the stall recovery, one guy trying to climb as the ground was approaching faster than it normally would. Sounds a bit like that normal airmanship you spoke of?