PDA

View Full Version : 2x BRA BAE146 engine issues simultaneously

cptkris
10th Aug 2019, 19:17
Apparently 2 Chartered BAE146 from BRA had engine issues and turned back within 45 minutes of each other today. Anyone know what happened?

White Knight
10th Aug 2019, 20:31
Apparently they had engine issues🙄🙄

ironbutt57
10th Aug 2019, 21:20
Apparently they had engine issues🙄🙄
I enjoyed the "TurtleJet", but yah they had engine issues...only had 4, needed one more...

Flight Alloy
10th Aug 2019, 23:03
A possible fuel contamination issue is being reported locally, a leak in the pumping main meaning ground water and silt may have entered the system downstream of the filtration unit. Will post any direct sources I find and translate.

oldchina
11th Aug 2019, 10:50
Most likely they had problems and not "issues"

Mega
11th Aug 2019, 12:56
Both of them had abnormally high vibrations (above 1.2 units) . Both engines was shut down by the crew. Both engines are now replaced and technical investigation follows.
I have been in the company many years and we have had very few inflight shutdowns on the RJ. The older 146 was another story byt that is over 20 years ago!
We have very good maintenance and maintenance procedures! These incidents the same day is a pure coincidence and nothing else.

//Garg

lomapaseo
11th Aug 2019, 16:36
Both of them had abnormally high vibrations (above 1.2 units) . Both engines was shut down by the crew. Both engines are now replaced and technical investigation follows.
I have been in the company many years and we have had very few inflight shutdowns on the RJ. The older 146 was another story byt that is over 20 years ago!
We have very good maintenance and maintenance procedures! These incidents the same day is a pure coincidence and nothing else.

//Garg

your last statement evokes a deeper investigation is needed

Herod
11th Aug 2019, 16:41
Mega. The post says 146, but I assume from your comment that it should be RJ. I flew the original 146 for about 1900 hours (yes, 20 years ago!) and the only problem we seemed to get was throttle freeze in the cruise. Water would get into the pylon, from there to the engine, and it stuck at cruise power. During descent, when the asymmetry got too much, just shut it down. The joy of four engines. (Don't anybody start on "hairdryers")

bill fly
11th Aug 2019, 16:42
One vibrating engine can cause a vibration reading on another engine - especially on the same wing.

DaveReidUK
11th Aug 2019, 17:50
Mega. The post says 146, but I assume from your comment that it should be RJ.

Hard to say whether it's a reference to the original BAe 146 or the Avro 146-RJ without knowing which operator the OP means by "BRA".

Thrust Augmentation
11th Aug 2019, 18:02
Hard to say whether it's a reference to the original BAe 146 or the Avro 146-RJ without knowing which operator the OP means by "BRA".

Braathens Regional Airlines, Swedish with RJ85's & RJ100's.

DaveReidUK
11th Aug 2019, 22:46
Braathens Regional Airlines, Swedish with RJ85's & RJ100's.

Ah, thanks. I don't know much Swedish, but enough to understand that "BRA" would be a good name for an airline in Sweden. :O

Icarus2001
12th Aug 2019, 00:43
One vibrating engine can cause a vibration reading on another engine - especially on the same wing.

How is that relevant in this case? Two different aircraft?