PDA

View Full Version : Rating Topics 1-5 - do you vote, notice, ignore?

Whirlybird
7th Aug 2002, 09:52
Interesting thing, this rating system. I just checked all the ones on the first page; the most any of them had was four votes, and most had only one or two. Yet I know I'm affected a little by whether a topic's been rated, especially if I'm in a hurry and don't have time to read everything (yes, I do have a life outside PPRuNe, honest!). If something's been given a 5 I tend to read it; if it has a 1 I probably won't bother. And if a thread I started has a high rating I'm unaccountably pleased.

What about the rest of you? Do you use the rating system at all? Do you notice it? Do you ever vote? Does it affect what you read? Do you like or dislike it? Do you tend to agree with the ratings?

Did you even realise it was there before I started this thread? :D

And what are you going to vote for this thread, now I've brought it to your attention? Go on, gimme a 5! :D :D :D

Evo7
7th Aug 2002, 09:57
I ignore it - although it was cool when we had user ratings and someone rated me a SkyGod... :rolleyes: :) :)

(and you couldn't vote for yourself, before anyone asks... :p )

edit: looks like someone countered my ***** with a *. There's a moral there somewhere... :)

Whirlybird
7th Aug 2002, 10:22
Yeah, I was a Sky God too - good wasn't it? :)

BTW, Big Red L, please don't move this topic - I wanna know what my friends on Private Flying think, not the big wide scary world of PPRuNe as a whole, pleeeessse! ;)

No probs Whirly, another pint you owe me.... :)

Grim Reaper 14
7th Aug 2002, 10:35
Take no notice whatsoever, I only look at the thread title to see whether I could learn something, or alternatively stick my unwanted nose into someone elses business. Either way, the rating is entirely inconsequential.

I must admit though, the thing that I do look at is how many replies there have been, compared with the number of views (bit sad I know), but if at least 10% of people have got something to say, it must be a good read!:)

Aussie Andy
7th Aug 2002, 10:53
Ignore

sharpshot
7th Aug 2002, 11:07
Who gives out the ratings? Seems very subjective.
The threads bashing airline management seem to get more pips than anything else. (No I am not one of them!)

I just read things I hope to learn from and that's pretty subjective too;)

And now to get hung.........411A is great reading!!

Evo7
7th Aug 2002, 11:13
Who gives out the ratings? Seems very subjective.

You do :)

And now to get hung.........411A is great reading!!

Who?

distaff_beancounter
7th Aug 2002, 12:11
Whirly. What I would like to know is the criteria, on which we are supposed to decide the rating :confused:

Most Informative?
Most relevant to me?
Most entertaining?
Most irritating?
Most pointless? (Don't worry Whirly, I have just given it a FIVE)

Or is it like ice-skating, based on style, intepretation, artistic content, difficulty of moves, etc?

Penguina
7th Aug 2002, 12:28
I paid no notice at all, until I saw that my professions thread has a 5 *. 'Wow!' I thought, quickly followed by 'oh dear I must get out more...' :D

Thumpango
7th Aug 2002, 12:54
I voted a 5 star for one of my own threads! I was amazed I could do that! Once you have voted you can't remove or change either.
Are the votes averaged I wonder?
I normally consider the highest rating as a priority read as I don't have time to look at all postings.

AerBabe
7th Aug 2002, 15:22
Yup, I think the votes are averaged.

I tend not to take too much notice as it's more important to me to read threads that look interesting. If one doesn't have an interesting title, but has 5 stars though, I might have a quick read.
I never vote either.

AB
(Another ex-Skygod :D )

Keef
7th Aug 2002, 18:41
I pay no attention to the ratings. I look at the subject and decide what's interesting.

Or who started it...

TheKentishFledgling
8th Aug 2002, 10:22
Like Keef, I generally look at the subject and decide if I like it. I rarely look at the rating.

I think I gave something a five star rating once, but that's all!

tKF

Cahlibahn
8th Aug 2002, 12:39
Ignore, I'm afraid