PDA

View Full Version : GALILEO down since pm Fri 12/7/19

pzu
14th Jul 2019, 23:46
GALILEO down since pm Fri 12 July

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48985399

👇🏼⛵️⛵️ 🚠🛠🔌 (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48985399)

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

capngrog
15th Jul 2019, 00:21
I think that most users of satellite navigation/positioning systems (SNPS) have no idea of how vulnerable these systems are. So many processes rely on these systems that compromise of, or damage to, these systems would cripple worldwide economies. SNPS are not the only technology vulnerable to accident or fiddling.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,
Grog

FarWest
15th Jul 2019, 05:59
Not just your opinion:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/satellite-derived-time-and-position-blackett-reviewSatellite-derived time and position: Blackett review.Many of our critical services, from telecommunications to transport, rely on global navigation satellite systems (GNSS) to operate.

This report sets out the findings of a review exploring the UK’s dependency on GNSS. It covers:

threats and vulnerabilities
sector dependencies (both current and future)
mitigations
standards and testing

It recommends a number of measures to make critical services more resilient to disruption or loss of GNSS.

Published 30 January 2018

FW

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
15th Jul 2019, 06:55
Out with the Dalton Computers chaps...!

kriskross
15th Jul 2019, 09:19
And don't forget --- MAPS!!!

Klauss
15th Jul 2019, 12:21
Hi,
does anyone have Galileo-based or enabled avionics ?
Effects ?

The Ancient Geek
15th Jul 2019, 16:10
Not a problem, the enhanced Galileo accuracy services will not be used until the constellation is complete.
The current Galileo satellites are effectively additional GPS satellites of which there are plenty so not an issue.

ATC Watcher
15th Jul 2019, 16:29
The current Galileo satellites are effectively additional GPS satellites
Don't tell this to the GSA/ESA guys they will get mad :E . In fact Gallileo is a lot more than GPS , but that is for another topic.
Fortunately the problem seem to be on the ground, not on the Sats in place .

gearlever
15th Jul 2019, 17:31
Constellation Information (https://www.gsc-europa.eu/system-status/Constellation-Information)

atakacs
15th Jul 2019, 17:45
Well this is somewhat embarrassing to say the least. What kind of ground issue could lead to such a persistent failure? I'm sure that all systems muss be redundant !? Sure it was still in deployment phase but this warrants further digging...

The Ancient Geek
15th Jul 2019, 20:08
Looks like it might be fixed, my receiver reports 6 Galileo satellites in range and green

atakacs
15th Jul 2019, 21:22
Looks like it might be fixed, my receiver reports 6 Galileo satellites in range and green
and do you get usable data ?

According to their status page the whole thing is still down

SysDude
15th Jul 2019, 23:29
Well this is somewhat embarrassing to say the least. What kind of ground issue could lead to such a persistent failure? I'm sure that all systems muss be redundant !? Sure it was still in deployment phase but this warrants further digging...

Any upload that corrupts the spacecraft or payload software, or commands an inadvertent shutdown, is a "ground issue". I suppose that malicious uploads and jamming fall into this category, but I doubt this is the case.

My bet is that a software update broke the constellation.

atakacs
16th Jul 2019, 05:41
Well it might be so (software issue) but it any case it seems like a major issue as it is still ongoing. Surprised that it doesn't make more "noise" in the news. After all this was supposed to be a viable alternative to GPS....

esa-aardvark
16th Jul 2019, 09:31
This morning my newish cell-phone shows 8 Galileo,
all coloured red, meaning no signal.

atakacs
16th Jul 2019, 10:19
Yup

Can't imagine a hardware issue that would not be fixable within 24/48h. Muss be software

esa-aardvark
16th Jul 2019, 11:52
Maybe a mis-op, Fucino do have previous form in that area.
Last time it was 'around the world in 80 days' for a certain satellite.

SysDude
16th Jul 2019, 15:58
This morning my newish cell-phone shows 8 Galileo,
all coloured red, meaning no signal.

Careful with the apps. Some will paint the location on the skymap based on a database, not the actual signals.

I am currently decoding both E1 and E5 telemetry but the usability flags are most likely turned off.

esa-aardvark
16th Jul 2019, 17:22
I think the satellite position comes from the almanac.
Signal, however, is usually to be trusted.

SysDude
16th Jul 2019, 19:44
I think the satellite position comes from the almanac.
Signal, however, is usually to be trusted.

Yes, we are in agreement. The almanac data provides a coarse spacecraft position, while the ephemeris data is finer and includes clock corrections.

Since the telemetry is embedded in the carriers, and I am receiving telemetry fine, this means that the spacecraft and payloads are working.

My bet is that they are needing to update new ephemeris data. Since the onboard oscillators take a long time to stabilize, my guess is that the clocks were reset or turned off for some reason and now need time to stabilize. Once stabilized, the new ephemeris data can be generated and uploaded to the payloads... in effect, a reboot of the constellation.

Then they will set the carrier flags to "usable".

esa-aardvark
18th Jul 2019, 12:58
Earlier today, I had three satellites with SNR in the Green range, The rest red.
Now when I check I see about 12 with Red SNR, I suppose from the Almanac.
After 30 seconds or so this drops to 6 with red SNR, I suppose from Ephemeris.
I suppose that someone is up to something.
PS Just now they have all vanished, no Galileo to be seen at all.

EDLB
18th Jul 2019, 17:03
Down now since one week. Either Macron‘s new starwar troop has still problems with the keyboard, or someone misplaced the phone number to the Bangalore hotline. SCNR.

If the new softwareupdate does not work I always try the old version...

what next
18th Jul 2019, 18:26
Down now since one week.

Old news :rolleyes: It's been up and running again since this morning (https://www.gsc-europa.eu/system-status/Constellation-Information). According to some spaceflight news channel the error occurred when control was transferred from the italian control centre to the german centre. A kind of problem which should be easy to fix.

Maninthebar
19th Jul 2019, 03:56
Old news :rolleyes: It's been up and running again since this morning (https://www.gsc-europa.eu/system-status/Constellation-Information). According to some spaceflight news channel the error occurred when control was transferred from the italian control centre to the german centre. A kind of problem which should be easy to fix.

Didn't go awfully well in 1943 either

Ancient-Mariner
19th Jul 2019, 09:39
Switch Off, wait twenty seconds, Switch On, usually works?
But with the UK getting booted out of the project, just wonder if someone had fitted a "back door"......

AAKEE
19th Jul 2019, 10:13
Gallileo left EU before UK ?

atakacs
19th Jul 2019, 15:29
Gallileo left EU before UK ?
not exactly sure of you meant but yes the UK decided to go solo, Brexit or not