PDA

View Full Version : Stick or Carrot?

Flyontrack
6th Aug 2002, 12:32
How do you think the CAA deals with airspace infringements?

Do you think they get the best feedback from you guys on what's wrong with the system and how to put it right?

Never been asked for your opinion?

Well you have now!! - see the website at www.flyontrack.co.uk and if you have any ideas or comments on anything to improve the current system let's have them on the "Your Say" forum page.

You can be anonymous - we need your ideas not your names.

We'll make sure they're all followed up. Give it a go!!

englishal
6th Aug 2002, 16:17
This website is not operated by the Daily Mail is it??? :D

Flyontrack
7th Aug 2002, 17:06
Absolutely not - don't be so suspicious!!

Have a look at the profiles page on www.flyontrack.co.uk and you can see exactly who we are and what we do.

Alternatively, pick up the phone and chat to us free on 0800 328 0792 - then decide if anyone from the Daily Mail is likely to understand a single word of what we're talking about!!

Then maybe you can give us your ideas.

BRL
7th Aug 2002, 22:46
Back to the top........... :)

Bof
10th Aug 2002, 17:36
Hi OT, Had a look at your great website. From some of the posts it would appear that there are far more poorly trained or poorly disciplined pilots out there than I would have believed. Horror stories abound. So what do we do about it - 'We' being the GA community. Well for starters I think if 'they' won't listen to words of advice from the likes of Irv Lee, then it's time for a little name and shame. It can be done without dropping them in the poo with the law, but at least they should know that the community as a whole don't appreciate being tarred with the same brush. We all have (had) to learn and the majority of new pilots are eager to learn the right way to fly. I have always maintained you can have a hell of a lot of fun flying - yet still do it right. Busting controlled airspace is not on. The fence is there for a purpose!!

Having said that, we are not best served by some of the thought police who seem to take the view that if you make a mistake, it's a shot at dawn job! Now some of your readers have suggested a yellow card approach. Third yellow is a red and you can expect the book to be thrown at you. If the offence is really serious you might even get it on the first infringement - depends on the severity. I like that.

The point I'm trying to make is that it's a shame the enforcers don't take more of a village bobby approach with inexperienced pilots, instead of trying to emulate a smart traffic cop with a radar gun anxious to reach his target busts for the week.

Or have I been at it too long! Anyway - best of luck with the project

Flyontrack
13th Aug 2002, 10:19
Thanks Bof - the Your Say open forum page on our website at www.flyontrack.co.uk is giving us a lot of feedback from guys like yourself, with a wide range of opinions!

Your comments about the "thought police" v the village bobby have been echoed by many others who agree that there's a safety benefit here which is being overlooked by the current follow-up system which is seen as being at odds with other safety cultures.

The smart traffic cop approach to airspace infringements doesn't seem to give the same safety feedback as, for example, near misses which the Airprox Panel reviews and publishes for all to see, to benefit from the lessons learnt and improve the system.

Besides anyone shot at dawn is not likely to talk us afterwards is he?

Thanks for the support - keep the comments coming!!

Hey, If you're reading this and haven't visited our website yet, you're missing the chance to voice your opinion or give us your ideas. www.flyontrack.co.uk